Wizbang Jr. tied to multiple Classics???

Started by Astro209, July 19, 2019, 04:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astro209

Hello everyone!

So happy to have found this forum.

Just received my second Classic and it integrated into my system as smooth as butter, but two questions...

Do I connect my Wizbang to the second Classic as well as the first? I use the Android app all day and the SOC meter on the second unit always shows 100%.

Also, since they are wired master/slave, do I need the second battery temp sensor?

Thanks in advance!!

ClassicCrazy

Yes you can use just one battery temp sensor - there are setting so the follow me Classic will use that one.
Go to Midnite youtube page and Ryan made a video that explains how to set it up.
There is also info if you go to Midnite homepage , then go to Support and look for Knowledge Base - info on how to set up Classic as master / slave .
Yes my second Classic shows 100% SOC all the time - only the other one is showing me the true SOC.
I already had second Classic with whizbang so I wired it into other system on that shunt so the first Classic shows me both Classics outputs . You might not need second shunt and whizbang but maybe others will have some thoughts.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Westbranch

Did you use the same charge parameters on both Classics?

If so it is best to have the settings of the second Cl a little below the Master so #2 drops off first and the master finishes the charge...
enjoy!
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

mike90045

Quote from: Westbranch on July 19, 2019, 08:43:41 PM
Did you use the same charge parameters on both Classics?

If so it is best to have the settings of the second Cl a little below the Master so #2 drops off first and the master finishes the charge...
enjoy!

That seems dumb.  I do that with 2 different brands, that don't talk to each other, what does the master do, if the slave is thinking for itself ?  Or if you have to anticipate and manually set it
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

ClassicCrazy

Frequently Asked Questions
All Categories » CLASSIC CHARGE CONTROLLER - Features and Programming
CLASSIC - F-ME - How to setup Classics in true Master/Slave Mode
The Follow-Me concept does not embrace Master/Slave topology.  With a few "tweaks" you can have a simple master/slave setup which I find personally works better.  Below I will tell you how it's done and explain how it works. (this may have limited benefits for 2 Classics)

First, we need to pick a Classic to be our Master Controller.  It will be called the "BTS MASTER"  Why is this?  Because one of the neat advantages of having F-Me setup is we can use a single BTS (Battery Temperature Sensor) and not need 2 or 3 or 4 or xx sensors and all that extra wire tied up somewhere.  The BTS-NET option in the Classic allows a single BTS to provide data to all Classics.  The BTS-NET is also a easy way to check that the cables are good and the F-Me network is functional.

1 - Pick a BTS MASTER Classic, install the BTS and set it to MASTER in the TWEAKS MENU under BTS-NET (page down to get to the sub-menu)
All other Classics get this set to FOLLOW.  This should be self explanatory to most seasoned Solar Installers & Electricians.

2 - If the Whizbang Jr SHUNT Option is going to be installed, install it in this Classic. This Classic will be the "Master of all things". This will be required for ENDAMPS control.

3 - All charging voltages get set the same.  The only thing we set differently is CHARGE TIMES.

4 - Set your needed ABSORB TIME in the Master, the rest (Slaves) get set with that plus 10 minutes.  See, what this does it lets the Master decide when to send everyone to Float.  If for some reason F-Me breaks, all that happens is the slaves stay in Absorb for an extra 10 minutes.

A GF or Ground Fault seems to only shut down the offending Classic so we should not need to worry about down-stream Classics sending data back around. AF or Arc Fault seems to exhibit the same behavior, at least on my 5 Classic system.

There is a misconception that ABSORB is a F-me function, it is not.  ALL Classics MUST reach their Absorb voltage independently.  ANY Classic that fails to maintain the programmed Absorb Voltage for 90 seconds with be forced BACK into BULK and this mode will be propagated around the F-Me network forcing all Classics back into Bulk.

If using ENDAMPS and REBULK set it up ONLY in the MASTER, let it decide since it has the WhizbangJR (Needed for proper ENDAMPS Operation)  Don't use ENDAMPS unless you have a WBjr installed & setup to use the SHUNT.

I have removed the Follow-Me cable from the LAST Classic to the FIRST on my system.  Everything goes ONE-WAY from the MASTER on the LEFT to the others on the RIGHT or Down-Stream.  This seems to be working, this stops the "SLAVES" from sending modes back to the MASTER flipping it.  I like it better but it is not a Midnite supported mode of operation. I like the MASTER to be in total control.

Hope this helps, Jim Parish

Help Topics:

Last updated Wed, Aug 9 2017 12:58pm
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Astro209

Thanks everyone for your responses. Big help indeed!!!