Safe to use travel fridge on LOAD circuit?

Started by Timmy, July 22, 2019, 10:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmy

I've got a small fridge for cooling drinks that runs on 120vac, 12vdc, or 24vdc. The 120vac option uses an external power brick and puts out 12vdc to the fridge. I'm currently using this on my 120vac side, but would prefer to have the fridge on the LOAD circuit using PWM Divert or Diversion mode. I'm not sure if the compressor actually runs on 24v or 12v OR it steps the 24v down to 12v. If it does step down, would this harm the kids load circuit like an inverter might?

Fridge in question (44qt)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QYM859M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ClassicCrazy

Look at the output of your 120 v power converter  and see what the output is.
My guess i the compressor runs on 12v since that is lowest rated power for it - everything else is down converted or the compressor itself or controls can handle the 24v and convert it there.
You don't want to PWM it - which is cycling the power on and off real fast - that would be bad or ruin the compressor or controls.
You could use anything else that provides it power on or off as long is it doesn't go on and off real fast.
I am not sure how many watts the Kid diversion is rated at - looking at your link and answered questions it looks like it takes 76 watts at startup surge and then might settle out at 45 watts.
You can always use the Kid Load  to control another relay that can handle the refrigerator load.
I only looked briefly at the questions and anwers on the Amazon link - you might want to read all of those and see if someone answers your question about power .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Timmy

Good call on the PWM. The brick definitely supplies 12v...I like the relay idea, seems like the safest route.

Shade

Package includes: 1 x Refrigerator, 1 x DC Power Cord, 1 x AC Adapter, 1 x Manual
use the DC cord to a fuse block like Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Block. u could use heavy duty cigarette lighter socket with a fuse but id go with fuse block.

【Battery Protection & Low Noiseã€'There are 3 different levels for battery protection: Low, Med and High.
set low battery voltage good for sla agm batteries. not good for Lithium since they go much lower voltage.
no need to use load circuit for low battery protection.

most auto detect voltage on 12v or 24v check manual