Brat to charge battery from generator

Started by planoform, August 05, 2019, 02:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

planoform

Hi all. New to solar and trying to figure things out. I'm wondering if it's possible to wire my Honda 2200i generator to the brat to charge my 12v battery on overcast days? Any ideas welcome!

bee88man

mike90045

The 12V charger in the generator is a pretty wimpy 6 amps, no need to control that.   Use the generator to power a large (40A) automotive charger if you need to charge 12v batteries quickly
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

No, I would not use the Brat in that way.  In addition to the generator putting out AC, (which can be rectified), the output impedance of the generator is way too low as well as its output voltage being way too high.

The Brat is a PWM controller which means that it must use a current source like a solar panel PV that is typically at a voltage just a wee bit higher than the battery voltage.  For example, a 12V PV module has a maximum power point voltage of around 17 or 18 volts DC.

An AC generator is a totally different thing and will most likely just let the smoke out of the Brat.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me