upgraded Kid setup number one to 48 volts

Started by Highflyer, August 19, 2019, 11:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highflyer

All,

I have been running six 230 watt solar panels in three strings of two for a few years now and the best I have ever seen was 30 amps.  Most of the time, I would be in the low 800 watt range at best, and 600-700 watts normal output was seen in MPPT.  I figured with the over paneling, I should see 30 amps a lot more often.  Now I have switch to a 48 volt battery bank, the panels are in two strings of three and I am seeing 1150 to 1250 in the middle of the day routinely.  The input voltage after the sweep remains around 87.3 volts most of the time.  If the panels have a maximum 1380 watts available is it possible to see 1250 watts routinely now?  As I calculate it, that would be roughly 90% rated power. 

Here is the info on the panels, the Kid, and the batteries.

Panels

230 watt
Voc 37.1
Vmp 29.8
Isc  8.21
Imp  7.71

Batteries

RS s550
428 AH

Kid

running 1864

Wire 10AWG
Run from panels to Kid 89 feet (27 Meters)

Any wisdom would be welcome.

Thanks
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Westbranch

Hi HF, what is your Lat and the angle of tilt you use on those panels and the time  (month) you see the max output?

check this app out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.clarkgarrett.solartilt&hl=en
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Highflyer

WB,

I built a tracker setup to track the sun.  It is spot on.  It has been running for for a year and a half.

I like the app, it looks simple enough to use for the non-tracking setups I have.

Thanks

B
Brian

harryn

Perhaps some of my similar experience will provide insight.

We build power systems for conversion vans, mostly 24 and 48 volt based.

We don't have as much control of the solar array on the customer's van as you might think (many DIY) and we had a customer bring in a van wired 2S2P using 12 volt style (17 volt Vmp) panels.

In the winter rainy weather, it was very difficult for the panels to reach a high enough Vmp to really do much charging (using a different brand controller that requires 35 volts to work)

I have a similar system under test in my back yard wired 3S (so around 3 x 18 volt Vmp) and 100 ft of wire in each direction.  It is charging very well.  The point is that it takes some power to move that electricity through a long wire and that comes from voltage differential.

As far as the 30 amps, perhaps incorrectly I think of the kid and 10 awg wire as "30 amp" max capable products.  In my simple mind, that means I should plan on running them at ~ 2/3rds of this rating, but perhaps I am wrong.

Highflyer

Harry,

Interesting to have to work from other's specs.  I think there are some here that can add other insight to best value setups. 

One thing I do know is that the Kid can run at 30 amps for a long time.  I have been running Kids for several years and have over-paneled then many time to ensure 30 amps to the batteries during the winters.  I do find that in the summer a small fan is needed to cool the Kid some to keep the display readable if you are running it really hard.  Other than that, I love the kids.  They are very flexible and affordable for the projects I have around the farm. 

Best of luck with your applications.
Brian

harryn

Quote from: Highflyer on August 21, 2019, 08:00:09 PM
Harry,

Interesting to have to work from other's specs.  I think there are some here that can add other insight to best value setups. 

One thing I do know is that the Kid can run at 30 amps for a long time.  I have been running Kids for several years and have over-paneled then many time to ensure 30 amps to the batteries during the winters.  I do find that in the summer a small fan is needed to cool the Kid some to keep the display readable if you are running it really hard.  Other than that, I love the kids.  They are very flexible and affordable for the projects I have around the farm. 

Best of luck with your applications.

Thanks.   Mobile systems are nearly always running in fairly hot of fairly cold conditions, which is another reason that we de rate the equipment from spec.   If the display goes out, then for us that is a failed application and "something" has to change.   It isn't always possible, but we try to make the systems capable of running without fans except under the more extreme conditions. 

We build fans in, but the idea is that they are hopefully not usually required.

Highflyer

Harry,
You can limit the load and battery charge with the Kid.  The battery section has a charge limit and the load section has a load limit.

Just to clarify, When one of my Kids gets over 45C the LCD will have a segment section or two flash on and off, but the information is clearly readable.

Hope this helps.
Brian