Off Grid firewood system

Started by WillEert, April 20, 2021, 03:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillEert

A year or so ago my wife suggested she would like to have an Electric Toro Workman for buzzing around our place. Our garden is quite a distance from our house so we sometimes drive our car down there which is a nuisance plus it uses fossil fuel. I looked at the Toro and kind of thought "I could get a nice Jeep Wrangle for this price" however the Electric Toro arrived. It has a nice 48V 10 Kw battery pack of T150 Trojans. After some thought I arrived at - if this Toro had an inverter then it would function as mobile electric power supply and would be lot more useful as one could go weed wacking  and anything else a husband might learn needed to be done.  :)  I received help from this forum regarding how to install an inverter in a mobil platform and last winter the Toro gained a 2 Kw Cotek inverter. It mounts quite nicely under the hood of the Toro. The Cotek has an internal on/off switch and 15 /20 Amp receptacle which makes the unit easy to install and use.
(1)24 ET 185 mono, Classic 150,8x Surrette 6CS25p, 4x Magnum 4448, homecooked diversion system;(2)15 Heliene 330 mono,Classic 150;(3)2X6 Hansol345mono, 2 stand alone Hotspot ACDC12C Minisplit heat pumps.(4)15 Hanwha Q cell 400 1/2 cell, Classic 200: (5)1X6 HanwhaQcell 400 1 Hotspot minisplit ACDC18C

WillEert

We happen to have an older 1300w Husqvarna electric chainsaw that we used to use for timber framing. It is becoming spring in Manitoba and I am in firewood splitting mode. I try to bring my wood in the one year for splitting the next year. Splitting wood gives me something to do in the spring when it is too wet or miserable to go and fetch wood. The Toro does not have a lot of volume capacity however the Cotek runs the chainsaw very nicely. I have been going and getting wood with the Toro and what a pleasure. Cutting wood with an electric chainsaw is very good. Easy to start and nice and light. When you can hear the birds singing as you cut wood life is very good. A while ago in our drive to decarbonize our lifestyle I acquired a 15 tonne electric woodsplitter. It is not the best quality and has given me problems  but it is easier and faster than splitting with a maul. I think I have all the bugs out of it now and splits wood quite reliably.  When we installed the firewood storage shed we wired it for 120 / 240V in order run things. I rewired the motor to run on 240V to keep the amps down and to help balance the "legs" of the inverters.
So success!! - We can now go and get firewood cut haul and split it all without using fossil fuel. Yay!!

Next maybe a little trailer for the Toro to pull and a Stihl MSE 250 C-Q chainsaw.
(1)24 ET 185 mono, Classic 150,8x Surrette 6CS25p, 4x Magnum 4448, homecooked diversion system;(2)15 Heliene 330 mono,Classic 150;(3)2X6 Hansol345mono, 2 stand alone Hotspot ACDC12C Minisplit heat pumps.(4)15 Hanwha Q cell 400 1/2 cell, Classic 200: (5)1X6 HanwhaQcell 400 1 Hotspot minisplit ACDC18C

ClassicCrazy

Nice setup Will.
I hear you on the electric chainsaws. I recently got a cordless one and have used it a little bit. Like you say - it is great to use it and not have so much noise. But I also like not having to mess around with gas, and most of all not having the stinky exhaust !
That is great that now you can just drive power out anywhere you need it.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable