Remote Cellular Connection using CradlePoint IBR600LPE

Started by mcsarge, September 03, 2019, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcsarge

Hello All,

Update on my Cradlepoint link to our remote cabin. I recently bought another Cardlepoint, this time an IBR600B-LP4, which is a newer version of the one I am running on site now. The big advantage of this is that it can support more features with respect to the Cradlepoint Network. Basically, with this unit and an Advance license I can setup a virtual network that allows me to access all the devices behind the Cradlepoint as if they were local - essentially it sets up a VPN network and when you install their client software on your computer or phone, those device can be on that network too. All secure and easy to access everything as if you are there. Now, I can create such a network now using the Raspberry Pi, but it is a real pain to configure, doing it with the Cradlepoint is so much easier.

I will deploy this new unit in the Spring and after that, accessing the Midnight Solar port 502 along with the Raspberry Pis, cameras and weather station will be much simpler.

Matt
Off Grid Island in Ontario Canada (Beaverstone Bay)
Primary: Classic 150 + wbjr; 3s2p HES 270watt
Winter: SolarBoost 50 MPPT (into wbjr); 2 x Sharp NE-80EJEA 80watt
Pack: 4s2p ROLLS S6-460AGM 6V for 24V pack
Inverter/Charger: Trace DR2424
Call Sign: KG4EUF

Fort Wisers

Sorry, thread revive.....

Hey Matt, how is your system set-up coming along?
Over the spring, while homeschooling our daughters during covid lockdowns, I developed a quick python / tkinter app to poll our classic for data, log and display.

The application runs on a Pi  (3B+ if memory serves me correct) that lives at the cabin and runs 24/7 collecting data.
I setup Real VNC on the Pi so I can log in and check things out and the pi is also connected to our TV at camp so we can view things there as well if the TV is on.
In addition to collecting and displaying real time data (polling rate adjustable) the application also generates a summary log file and stores this as a text file locally on the Pi.
The same data stored in the log file is emailed to me each evening as well.

Later this week I'll get some screen shots of the application in action to give a general sense of where development is at (I will admit it's still quite rudimentary) and see if anyone else is in need of something like it. I'll start a new thread on this forum with some more details.
After a bit more development I will be posting it on GitHub.

Cheers everyone:
Brent
Cabin#1 System: 2 x Hanwha QCell 370watt, Classic 200 incl. wbjr, 2 x Rolls FLA 6V, Kisae SW1220 Inverter

mcsarge

Brent!

Sorry I just saw this. The system is all setup and still running - We have not been able to visit the island since COVID - so that is and entire Spring, Summer and Fall. I have many projects stacked up and waiting for deployment, namely:

1. New Cradlepoint IBR600C
2. New Ambient Weather Station (it posts to the web itself so I do not need to run Weewx)
3. New outdoor WiFi antenna/router
4. A new experimental Mikrotik parabolic cat 6 LTE router/modem to test out
5. Several new/replacement cameras and an PoE switch to power a camera and the Mikrotik
6. Replace the old RPi with a little newer one (but still one that does not use alot of power
7. Wire up the current sensor for the pump power line so I can monitor average duration of the pump run.
8. Add 3 additional guy wires to the tower we can climb up to the top and mount the antennas up there.
9. Design, implement and Deploy the generator remote start using a LoRa link between the battery shack and generator building.
10. 3D print a bunch of enclosures for my displays and equipment.
11. Fully deploy the ClassicMQTT to serve the display I am working on for the kitchen using an LED Matrix.

As I said in that other post, I love your UI and I want to see if we can hook it up to the MQTT I will have running on the island after this next trip.

Matt

Fort Wisers

Hey Matt!
Yes there's never enough time is there?
I built a "UI only" version of CCDM last evening, it wasn't a hard change from CCDM stock.
After the holidays I'll post up a special package as such for you to trial fit into MQTT.

I got consumed today getting a better guide for CCDM full stop, among preparing for the holidays......
Have a great Christmas:
Brent
Cabin#1 System: 2 x Hanwha QCell 370watt, Classic 200 incl. wbjr, 2 x Rolls FLA 6V, Kisae SW1220 Inverter

mcsarge

Brent,

I just looked at this message - reachout to me on email if you want matthew.c.sargent at gmail <dot> com.

Matt