AUX 1 AUX2 and Whizbang Jr

Started by Colin Jordans, September 27, 2019, 02:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Jordans

Hi Bob
My WhizBang Jr did come with 2 standoff and 2 screws for the unit .
So does by extend in the wire to the Whizbang  have any effect  on the accuracy off the Whizbang
Thanks Mate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System
48v Magnum Inverter 4300w MS-PE Series Pure Sine wave 230v 50hz  2 off  stacked 8.6kw
BAE  PVV Solar Batteries { VRLA-GEL } 2v 660ah   at 48v
MorningStar MPPT TriStar 150v 60a   48v  2off
6kw of Hanover Solar HS250M 250w Voc37.9v , Vnpp 30.5v , 8.19a ,     3 gropes off 4 at 113.5v each  for 3kw  2off
MorningStar MPPT TriStar 600v 60a   48v 1off
1.7kw  190w  solar panels  Voc 37.5v 9off 337.5v  6.3a
Whispering  Wind turbine 2kw  with a 4kw dump
Midnite Classic 250  for the wind turbine

Colin Jordans

Hi Larry
It Would really cool to get that that info on the Raspberry Pi to connect up to the Classic and get the wind and temperature from the weather stations in conjunction with the Classics Input volts and battery volts to control all the different relays .
Like batteries full temp cold turn on the heater , or batteries full close the tail to a wind turbine .
But a just bit too Tech savvy for me to work out .
For me I used Voltage relays and timer relays to do what I want.
Thanks anyhow Mate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System
48v Magnum Inverter 4300w MS-PE Series Pure Sine wave 230v 50hz  2 off  stacked 8.6kw
6kw of Hanover Solar HS250M 250w Voc37.9v , Vnpp 30.5v , 8.19a ,     3 gropes off 4 at 113.5v each  for 3kw  2off

boB

Quote from: Colin Jordans on October 23, 2019, 01:17:59 AM
Hi Bob
My WhizBang Jr did come with 2 standoff and 2 screws for the unit .
So does by extend in the wire to the Whizbang  have any effect  on the accuracy off the Whizbang
Thanks Mate

The single purple wire to the Classic is fine.  The WB Jr. PCB still needs to be mounted to the shunt along with the BMK.
Connecting the WB Jr. through the standoffs is fine also.

Some have connected the two WB Jr. shunt connections to the shunt by way of two extra wires and that doesn't work too well because of WB Jr. self current draw (voltage drop) adding to the shunt measurement voltage

boB

System
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Colin Jordans

Hi Gang
Iv turned  off my Midnite Classic 250  today  :-[ :-X :-\ :-*
First real wind day here , turbine working nicely  getting 1.5kw to 3kw out off it , around midday the batteries nearly Full 95%,
So when the classic got around the 50 amps at 148 volts,   it went into absorption mode  the voltage shot up to  around 300 volts 
And went into Hyper VOC !!! :o ,
I checked and  made shor the dump was working , it was cutting in around 146 Volts,
its as though the 3kw from the Classic is being released to go into Absorption mode allowing the 3kw  off extra power shoots up into the dump which is a 4kw dump ,
That's when the Classic Goes into Hyper VOC mode I seen it around the 250v up to 300v .
When  the Classic  is in Absorption mode the dump holds the volts around 145v to 160v without too much trouble around 25 to 30 mph wind
Today is 41c and 25 to 35 mph wind

So the big Question is because I can't find this info yet,
How long can it work going on and off !!! and is it safe ? Will it damage the Classic !!!! with  it  going into Hyper VOC ??
Hay Guys any ideas ???

Thanks Cheers Colin

Colin Jordans

The Whiney  @&%@ is working

boB

Quote from: Colin Jordans on October 24, 2019, 12:10:08 AM

I checked and  made shor the dump was working , it was cutting in around 146 Volts,
its as though the 3kw from the Classic is being released to go into Absorption mode allowing the 3kw  off extra power shoots up into the dump which is a 4kw dump ,
That's when the Classic Goes into Hyper VOC mode I seen it around the 250v up to 300v .

What is the dump load consist of ?    Are you using a Midnite Clipper ?

A Clipper should keep the turbine from going so high in voltage. 

A dump load on the battery side, if that is what you are using, will not do that.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Colin Jordans

Hi Bob
No I dont have a Midnite Clipper
I not shor I think that each dump resistor  is 4 omh each

The dump is set to cutting in around 146 Volts,
its as though the 3kw load on turbine going to the Classic is being released to go into Absorption mode allowing the 3kw  off extra power shoots up into the dump .
But When the controller is not fully loaded up it works okay
Not quite shor how to get around the probland
Thanks Mate

Colin Jordans

just Pitchers

Colin Jordans

Colin Jordans

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Colin Jordans on October 23, 2019, 01:43:26 AM
Hi Larry
It Would really cool to get that that info on the Raspberry Pi to connect up to the Classic and get the wind and temperature from the weather stations in conjunction with the Classics Input volts and battery volts to control all the different relays .
Like batteries full temp cold turn on the heater , or batteries full close the tail to a wind turbine .
But a just bit too Tech savvy for me to work out .
For me I used Voltage relays and timer relays to do what I want.
Thanks anyhow Mate

I documented how to hook Classic up to its serial connector here
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=4046.0
This is where you find lots of other info on using micro controllers with Classic and info on Node Red
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?action=collapse;c=13;sa=expand;dfd4a290d2=2ab875feab7b1eefaeb7283ad9629ed5#c13

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Colin, do you have a simple wiring diagram ?

I'm not sure what I am looking at in the picture below but it looks like you have a rectifier and SSR maybe ?

Is it wired up on the turbine side or the battery side of the Classic ?

What kind of turbine is it ?   Is it an axial flux turbine ?  Does the turbine have steel laminations or is it "coreless " like a typical axial flux machine with only permanent magnet rotor and stator coils ?  The reason I ask this is because some (or all ?) turbines with iron/steel laminations that the wire is wound around CAN speed UP when loaded too heavily.

On the other hand, when the Classic has too much power available on its input (the turbine), the Classic will raise its input voltage enough to try to reduce the voltage at the battery side and keep the absorb or float voltage constant as it can.''

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Colin Jordans

Hi Bob
Since I have chatted to you last , I have been looking at it from many angles ,
I ended up readjusting the wind graph of the Classic  so when the dump comes on its is about 1800w now and stays on till it gets  back blow the 1800w ,
And I all so made the tail to close  earlier so the blades cant get full wind to the generator. 
The wiring is,
It is 3 phase AC 2kw generator going into a 2 off 3 phase AC  bridge rectifier  400 amp peck each out to DC single phase.
Then single phase DC to a circuit breaker to the Classic .
For the dump starts from the 3 phase AC side of the bridge rectifier to the solid state relay then to the dump,
I reconfigure the load resistor to a 3 phase AC dump , 
it seems to have made dump softer in slowing the turbine down . But I ree wired the load resistor so that there is 2 load resistor on each phase ,
It stops it a lot quicker now
When the dump was a DC dump, and all 3  load resistor wired as single phase ,
it stop the turbine a lot quicker .
And you were right about the Classic when it got to full load and it unloading it self to protect it self .
Thanks for your help Bob
Colin

System

Colin Jordans

Hi Larry
Thanks for all that cool info on the Raspberry Pi
lot more research to do now
Thanks Mate  ;D