Need identify series or parallel stacking cable for Trace SW inverters

Started by littleharbor2, July 20, 2019, 09:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleharbor2

I  thought I'd take a chance and see if some of the engineers here might remember some of this stuff from decades ago.
Here goes,
I've been scouring the manuals looking online  etc. and can't seem to find part numbers for these stacking cables. I have 3 or 4 of these cables and don't know which is which. They have a series of numbers and letters printed on them but nowhere do they say Series or Parallel on them.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric
   Trace SW 4024 (brand new, sort of, first energized Feb. 2015)
  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4  Battery bank

Vic

Hi littleharbor,

From boB,   long ago,   Attached is a schematic of the Trace SW Series Stacking cable.

Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

littleharbor2

Thanks Vic for the link. I have seen this. Thing is unless there's info contained that will help me identify (likely), and differentiate, the cables I have, then I need a bit more info. I don't know if either series, or parallel cables have the same number of wires. If the series stacking cable works in either series or parallel configuration and the AC wiring of the inverters is what is different. I am assuming there are two distinctly different cables. Am I wrong here? If I am, and there's only one cable, then that's the best answer.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

littleharbor2

The manual clearly identifies two different cables. a Series cable (SWI) and a parallel (SWI/PAR). So that answers my one question regarding whether there's a single cable or not. Now I still need to be able to look at the cables I have in hand and be able to differentiate between them. There are  identifying markings on them. If I could get part numbers for both cables I believe I will find my answer.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

mike90045

http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

littleharbor2

How is that going to tell me which cable I have? I can see that the series cable has 20 wires on it occupying the first 20 spaces in the modular plug. Would the Parallel cable be different?
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

Vic

Hi littleharbor,

Our Inverters are NOT Trace SW models,   they ARE Xantrex SW Plus,   Series Stacked.

For the  SW Plus inverters,   the Series Stacking Control cable,  has a part number,   "  ISC-S  ".   Have never seen any Parallel Stacking cables,   but,  for the SW + units,   one might guess that that part number might be an  ISC-P.   Would further assume that Series Stacking would be quite a bit more common,   that Parallel Stacking   ...   whatta I know?

Have not been able to check it,   but most 25 pin D connectors have the pin numbers molded into the plastic part that holds the pins,   at the pin bases.  Some male connectore only had numbers at the beginning and end of each row of pins.

Without a mating female contact,  or at least another set of hands,   it can be a bit difficult to ohm-out the connections between each connector of the cable.

All Electronics usually stocks 25 pin D Male connectors.    Those,  plus some cable,  you  could make your own Series Stacking cable,   from that diagram.

FWIW,   the Xantrex SW+ ISC-S cables have a part number tag,   attached to the cable.

And,   as you would assume,   and stated in the ISC-S manual,  "EACH INVERTER THAT IS BIENG STACKES MUST BE IDENTICAL"

EDIT:   Do not have much spare time today,   but,  in searching for "Trace Inverter stacking cable,   the SW manual comes up,   with the following reference,  with the searched-Link,

'[PDF]
SW Series Inverter/Chargers Owner's Manual
https://us.v-cdn.net/6024911/uploads/editor/ev/swnwb3r34i2l.pdf

Thank you for choosing Xantrex products to meet your powering needs. ...... This menu system provides control of the inverter, allows features to be ..... The parallel stacking interface cable (SWI/PAR) allows two inverters to be connected to ... '

Again,   FWIW,   and Good Luck,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

littleharbor2

Vic, again Thanks for the additional info. I have downloaded all Trace Xantrex manuals I have found I have a 22 page and a 50 page manual. I noticed in the SW+ 50 page manual it says the ISC-S cable is for the SW, SW+ and PS inverters only so they will interchange. The newer cable has the captured thumb screws in the modular plug whereas the older stacking cable has little loose Philips head screws.
My problem seems to be the lack if info pertaining to the parallel stacking cable. Any other info is really appreciated from any of the former Trace/Xantrex guys.
I'm sure I could make my own cable given the right info. I may already have one in my collection and not know it because I don't know how to tell them apart.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

Vic

OK littleharbor,    GOOD LUCK,   hope that some of the MN Engineering staff will have some useful info for you.   Vic

littleharbor2

I do very much appreciate all your help. I have learned stuff here today. Always a good day when I can add info to my mental, digital and physical files. :)
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

Vic

Hi littleharbor,

Am sure that the MN Engineering folks are very,   very busy,   getting the new Inverters,   CCs,   etc through testing and ETL  ...

One other thought;   believe that you are still active on the WindSun Forum.   One member there (in addition to the MN folks) was   " RCinFLA  ",   who was very knowledgeable on the venerable Trace and Xantrex SW/SW+ line of inverters,   was a very technical person,   probably an Engineer.

That member has been an infrequent visitor there in recent years,   but,   you might try PMing to ask for any guidance on data for the Stacking cable that you need,   or,  if you have not done so,   you might start a Thread   ...    eeeerrrrrrrr "Discussion",   asking for info on your needed cable.

FWIW,    best of luck,  Vic

littleharbor2

I started a discussion the same day I started tis one. Only one reply.

RCinFLA doesn't ring a bell and I am very active over on NAWS. I will look into sending him a PM. Thanks.

One other thing I have come up with is the Parallel Stacking Interface module. I may even have one in storage without even knowing it. Seems I've seen this thing. https://www.altestore.com/static/datafiles/Others/SWI_PAR_Users_Guide.pdf I hope to find it today. Still feel the need to find out more on the illustrious SWI/PAR cable.

Thanks for your continuing interest in my query,
Mike
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric