News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Spectro Acoustics

Started by onanparts, February 07, 2012, 07:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onanparts

OK, correction: This is the way it should be! Note level indicators are maxed out...Cranked the 200SR wide open for an hour and a REAL stress test!  ;D

This was into some JBL TR225 4 Ohm speakers. Very clean at max volume with no distortion. Just had to share some WHO and Black Sabbath with the neighbors... :) All magic smoke is still inside the 200SR... ;)

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

onanparts

Here we go again... :) Just snagged a 217R purchased new March 1980 serial #0009! And another 200SR purchased new June 1981 serial #0072. Both in very good condition. Asked the seller to "double box" both and ship individually. Fingers crossed they will get here undamaged.... ::)

onanparts

Both arrived undamaged.... :)  Pics to follow. Meanwhile here is the performance spec sheet SA included with it when shipped.

onanparts

Finally got around to some bench testing time. Pre-amp has a broken power/level switch. boB thinks he may have one in the back of a drawer....:)

Brought the amp up slowly on a variac.....but after a few minutes at 120VAC it popped one of the filter caps. :(
Replaced both caps and fired it back up.....no magic smoke escaped and after a few hours I gave it some input and all is good. Very dirty/dusty inside so a thorough cleaning is in order.

onanparts

A few more pics....

Ingot worx

It's a neat feeling getting one of these in rough shape and bringing it back to life. The thing about these amps is that they were built with rugged in mind and it's possible to completely overhaul them with replacement parts. I will post a list of a couple of transistors that are replacements that I was able to find.

I just got another one from Ebay and I'm starting on it. My last one I ended up going with the original midnight blue design (very forward for the era and looks as contemporary as anything today). I removed the internal lamp reflectors for the clip lights and brought them right into the left and right plexi windows, also added  a black baffle behind them so that you can't see the amp interior. They look like mini vacuum tubes when they illuminate (kind of retro which is a bit trendy at the moment). I also got rid of the red plexi in those windows and replaced with smoked. Then I painted the trim bezel and the faceplate to cover up the gold pin striping and the model number. I'm probably going to put that guy on Ebay soon and work on the new one. Super crystalline highs and really punchy lows.  I was playing around with a faceplate design for the 202 that would utilize the existing clipping indicators, but behind some sleek yellow slits and then replacing the backlit analog bulb array with a simple bright LED (the arrows shown are just guides for lining things up.

boB

Very nice find, Ingot !!

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

RMC

I'm new to this forum which I found only a few days ago and I like it. By the way, i've had a Spectro 2102 EQ since jan. 1979 and a 217R preamp since June 1979 (36+ years !) both are still working fine, the EQ is all original and I only had to clean the switch on the front panel with Caig's Deoxit F5 and still going like new. As for the preamp the only repairs to it were some RCA connectors on the back panel which have a tendency to break because of their plastic holder does not resist the test of time... also some Deoxit on source selector switches and on/off/volume control but that's it, still going on strong. I guess Robin would be proud of his work to hear about these survivors !
I am considering giving away the preamp (yes for free) to the right person who will have to have it shipped at their own cost from Montreal, Canada since I use it less because my setup has changed, I'm also getting older and use less Equipment  and I have two other more recent  preamps. Let me know if you are really interested. I am keeping the EQ for my setup, too bad for you guys... 

Richard

JHFowler

Hey Robin and Bob, Spectro brings back some memories. Good people making quality stuff,working hard but in mellow atmosphere, lunch at Alfy's{two for one},Space Invader's Alfy's Pizza, Great Christmas Party (driving Robin's go-cart in the snow, flying though the air (from one level of the parking lot over some stairs to a lower level). Not sure if you've ever heard that story, lucky I was going pretty fast! Those were the best of times.   Jim

boB

Ahhh yes, Jim !  Space Invaders !  I remember that was one game that Robin played and it was so cool to see video games
way back in the early days of computers !  Those times are gone for good !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

RMC

Hey Robin, Bob and others, speaking of memories and of the good old days, no takers on my offer (see Dec. 14 2015 post above) for a 36 years old and still working fine Spectro 217R preamp with user manual included ? The right person is simply anyone who will use it in a hi-fi or pro gear setup and enjoy it for a few more years.  I will package it carefully and drop it at the carrier of your choice (Postal service, Fed Ex, UPS, etc.). I can provide the unit's serial number if you want. Being in the process of downsizing and reorganizing my home studio gear, if you insist I may even chip-in in the future the 2102 EQ with user manual, since I have other more recent EQs from Rane... This is the last call guys, wake-up time !

Richard

mercer

May this link be fixed please? I would love to acquire some documentation....Thanks in advance for any help here in.

Quote from: boB on February 10, 2014, 02:50:25 AM

Here it is !

http://k7iq.midnitesolar.com/spectro%20500%20test.pdf

boB

boB

The powers above me moved all of those files and I don't quite know where that particular k7iq directory went ?
I hope that Ryan moved it too but I haven't looked recently.  We'll find it eventually I hope.
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Robin

I may have the manuals. Email me.
Robin@midnitesolar.com.
Robin Gudgel

olddude55

New guy here, this thread has been most helpful.  Just purchased a 217R preamp--haven't received it yet--and it's so damned hard to find out any info at all.
Been doing stereo/hi-fi stuff for over 50 years, love turntables and preamps.  Hoping the 217R is my Goldilocks pre.
Anyway, what's the difference between the 217 and the 217R?