News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

back to "what is this"

Started by ralph day, November 08, 2019, 08:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralph day

Ok, is this for real?  In an inverter?  Am I showing my ignorance?  And what is it?

boB

Ross may pipe up and say where he got a pic of that but it is some kind of transmitting tube.
Air cooled I think ?

The big round top (upside down) is the plate for pretty sure and the bottom (right side up) ring might be a connection ?

If  this is a directly heated cathode triode tube then the 3 wires sticking out the bottom would be heater-cathode, heater-cathode and grid.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

RossW

Quote from: boB on November 08, 2019, 01:22:55 PM

Ross may pipe up and say where he got a pic of that but it is some kind of transmitting tube.
Air cooled I think ?

Indeed it is from a (now old) commercial AM transmitter. This valve produced a couple of kilowatts of carrier, and another hefty valve amplified the modulation which was then superimposed via modulation transformer.

The big round top (upside down) is the plate for pretty sure and the bottom (right side up) ring might be a connection ?

If  this is a directly heated cathode triode tube then the 3 wires sticking out the bottom would be heater-cathode, heater-cathode and grid.

There is an interesting section on the valve and its manufacture here https://frank.pocnet.net/other/AWV_Radiotronics/Radiotronics_1958/1958_03_AWV_Radiotronics_23_03.pdf

I understand the Radiotron 5762 was typically used in a grounded-grid configuration.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine