Winter Panels Controller

Started by mcsarge, November 11, 2019, 05:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcsarge

In addition to the main solar system (6 HES 270s and a Midnigh Classic 150 with WhizBang Jr), I have 2 old 90 Watt panels connected to an old MPPT Solar Controller mounted in such a way as they do not get covered with snow, but still will get light on them for a few hours each day. They are there so that when the panels on the roof get covered with snow, there will still be some power generated to keep the batteries topped off and to run my remote monitoring system and the solar controllers.

My question is, would be be better to invest in a Brat or other Midnite Solar device to run those panels? I, of course, run the charging power through the WhizBang, but I am thinking that having something more modern might work better with my Classic. Do any of the smaller devices interface to the Classic?

Comment and advice are appreciated.

Matt
Off Grid Island in Ontario Canada (Beaverstone Bay)
Primary: Classic 150 + wbjr; 3s2p HES 270watt
Winter: SolarBoost 50 MPPT (into wbjr); 2 x Sharp NE-80EJEA 80watt
Pack: 4s2p ROLLS S6-460AGM 6V for 24V pack
Inverter/Charger: Trace DR2424
Call Sign: KG4EUF

ClassicCrazy

I think if the controller you have works - if it was me I would just use that.
The other Midnite controllers don't interface in any way with the Classic.
At least you can see the output from your other controller by having it go through the shunt and read by the Whizbang.
There is a way to get some remote monitoring of the Kid but it is very limited and not easy to do if you read the comments in the forums by those who have integrated it. The Kid is not being supported by future updates any longer either and one of the older updates broke the limited data output it had that could be monitored remotely via other software. But I think that was fixed - haven't kept up on it too closely recently.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mcsarge

Larry,

Thanks for information. I may do just that, but the existing system has no monitoring at all either. I may switch to another a solar controller I have that does have a modbus output I can read from my Raspberry Pi. It can handle 30A which is far more than what I will ever get from the 2 80 Watt panels.

Matt
Off Grid Island in Ontario Canada (Beaverstone Bay)
Primary: Classic 150 + wbjr; 3s2p HES 270watt
Winter: SolarBoost 50 MPPT (into wbjr); 2 x Sharp NE-80EJEA 80watt
Pack: 4s2p ROLLS S6-460AGM 6V for 24V pack
Inverter/Charger: Trace DR2424
Call Sign: KG4EUF