Author Topic: firmware upgrade  (Read 1238 times)

jond9

• Newby
firmware upgrade
« on: November 13, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »
I'm trying to upgrade firmware on our new Schneider XW+ 6848, in order to allow search mode to operate as described in product description and owners manual.
Schneider's directions for this process seem to me to be overly complicated, but I'm choosing to persevere. The 2 main stumbling blocks are maintaining power for Combox, computer, router/modem during the process, and having wired connection from modem and router to computer, to Combox, to inverter.
Since the XW+ has to be in standby mode for the process to work, no power will be available for the components needed. Schneider's PDP has a bypass mode to allow for this, but I'm not aware that this exists for the e-panel that we have instead of PDP. I'm suspicious of Honda generator power being good enough for these electronic gizmos, and haven't tried using it.
Our satellite modem is on main floor and at opposite end of house from the power board in basement. No way for it to reach this distance in order for wired connection to the computer and other components needed for the upgrade. Schneider's upgrade instructions show wired connection, but I wonder if wireless would work from modem/router to computer? I have tried many times to connect with Schneider about this dilemma, many emails, but have had no response.
Anyone having experience or pertenent knowledge of this process, please share.
Having paid good money for this inverter only to find that it doesn't operate as described is disappointing. Then having to go throught this round about procedure to correct the problem doesn't seem fair, but 'tis the way of this world.

KyleM

• Administrator
Re: firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 02:32:26 PM »
You might find a solution at https://www.se.com/us/en/work/support/

That is the support page for Schneider products.

KyleM

mike90045

• The Ranch (via facebook re-direct)
Re: firmware upgrade
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 02:56:05 AM »
I do my upgrades thusly

eu2000 inverter generator (any small inverter generator should work)
powers wall warts for router, 24v wall wart for combox and the laptop
Load the file over ethernet cable (not wifi) from laptop to combox, and then let combox update XW inverter
it takes time, last i did it couple years ago, I waited 15 or 20 min for it to complete, instructions said 5 min.
 Updating combox afterwards, the XW will still be powered up, and running all the gear.  The combox gets a thumbdrive with the firmware file on it, and is rebooted , again extra long wait and then it's good
 Follow the instructions and wait extra time.

http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV