News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Mnpv6

Started by Ltvn68, February 09, 2012, 10:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ltvn68

I just purchased the mnpv6 combiner box.
I am using 1" grey plastic conduit to bring two 2/0 wires from the charge controller / inverter panel to the mnpv6.
Why is there no appropriate knock out in the bottom of the box?  The knockout in the back of the box which faces the house wall is the correct size but useless.  The 1" conduit box connector just slips through the knockout on the bottom of the box. This now requires that I drive 12 miles back to Home Depot to get a 50 cent adapter!!!
Very frustrating.
Further, the written instructions  for mounting the breakers with the combiner bar is not well presented.  I finally figured it out on line and then found the picture inside the combiner box cover.
Otherwise a good product.
Jim

Robin

Jim, I'm sorry you did not have the correct size adapter for attaching to the combiner. If my calculations are correct, you cannot legally use a 1" conduit for your size of fill factor? We reduced the size of our output knockout a couple of years ago based on industry response. We have shipped 30,000 MNPV6 combiners since that time. You are the first person to mention that the knockout is too large? Based on the popularity of the MNPV6, we will not be changing the output conduit size in the future. I did go through our instruction sheet and was able to figure out how to install the comb busbar. The first page of the instructions has a photograph of the busbar installed into breakers. I am not sure how to make this more clear. Again, I am sorry that you had trouble installing the combiner. We do plan on making videos in the near future showing installation for the do it yourselfers. That will make it very clear how to install and what all will be needed. It will not be able to give enough information to be able to bypass the NEC however. There are some things that have to be calculated based on the actual installation.
Thanks,
Robin
Robin Gudgel