KID Marine Powered on by PV

Started by kingsolarman88, January 02, 2020, 07:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingsolarman88

We have a bulk of KID Marine MPPT. We use it with our Solar Panel PV module, lithium battery and Magnum inverter. I am told that the KID Marine (white) can't be powered on directly from PV module, but has to be powered on by batteries. Am I misinformed or? Thanks

boB

Hello King !  :)

That feature never did quite happen.  We are talking about it and were actually working on being able to do that for a while.

The way to charge a dead battery, if that is what you are wanting to do, is to temporarily connect PV+ input to BATTERY+ output to get the voltage on the battery to come up where it can then start up from the battery.

It is safe to connect the input and output together as long as the Kid (or Classic) is not running at that time.

Then, when the battery voltage rises to around absorb or even lower, it is time to remove the short from input to output and then it should be able to run normally to charge the battery properly.

Yeah, we were working on what you are asking but it was a bit complicated.  Not overly complicated but would have added quite  bit to the end price if that were to be included inside the Kid itself.

Happy new year !
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

kingsolarman88

Hi boB:
Happpy New Year.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, that's what we intend to do, to charge dead battery when the sun comes out and fully releases its power to our PV module. :D
Not sure if it is possible to be a feature in the future firmware update?

boB

Quote from: kingsolarman88 on January 02, 2020, 10:16:34 PM

Not sure if it is possible to be a feature in the future firmware update?

I wish !

No, there is no hardware to do that unfortunately.

You could turn on one of the FETs and engage the relay.  But that is how it normally operates anyway.

So it boils down to how would you power the processor to run the software ?   :) :D

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me