I cut my temp sensor wire!

Started by toothy, December 23, 2019, 06:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toothy

Hello All,

Does anybody know which color wires are used for the temp sensor? I was in a rush and the lineman's pliers were the quickest solution!

Thanks
Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

ClassicCrazy

I don't understand  your question.
The temp sensor has its own jack and the temp sensor plugs into it . 
So if you cut the wire somewhere along the way you can just splice the wires back together - there are probably only two .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Ron Swanson

There are 6 wires in the usual Midnite temp sensor but the 3 wires left of center are all connected to "side A" of the BTS and the 3 right of center are connected to "side B"

It is either a 10k or 100k ohm nominal sensor, don't remember which but put an ohmmeter on it and it should tell the tale.

So if you bundle up all 3 on each side and splice them, you should be good to go.

What I would do if it was long enough would be to crimp a new 6 pin RJ plug on the end.  4 pin would probably work also, I don't know why they used 6.  Do a sanity check on whatever device is reading battery temp when done.

toothy

Thanks, I was doing some wiring clean up and the boss was without power, the only wire I forgot to plan for was that sensor. The conduit to that classic was super tight and the battery box was complicated and buried in gear so, snip! I just thought I remembered a discussion from years ago about the sensor only needing 2 wires and that would have made a neater splice, I’ll just patch them all.

Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,