BTS Battery Temperature Sensor not installed problem solved

Started by ClassicCrazy, October 25, 2017, 10:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

One of my Classics just started showing  Battery Temperature Sensor not installed on Local Status App. I checked connections , inspected sensor  wires, plugged in new sensor, did VMM  - nothing solved problem.

So I did search on Forum here and eventually found a post from someone who said they put in -0.5 for Temperature Compensation setting so tried that and that did it - temp sensor showed up again.

I then remembered that the other day helping someone with a question on forums here- I had changed the Temperature Compensation setting in Local Status App to zero because I don't think the Lithium batteries need Temperature Compensation . Setting to Zero makes Classic think there is no sensor hooked up .

Posting this in case anyone in future has the problem. I guess I had never heard of this before and I don't believe it is documented in Classic Manual .

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

CDN-VT

Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

mobywile

OK.  I have not installed a battery temp monitor because my battery room only fluctuates between 60F and 65F over the course of a year.  But my local status app reads a temp. 0f -48.5C!  I have the comp. set at zero volts.  Is this a problem?  I do remember a while back that the reading was "Battery Temp. Sensor Not Installed", which would be the correct statement of the condition, but that disappeared. 
Should I be concerned?
18x Suntech 180S-24, 2x MN Classic Lite 150 with remote MNGP, MN WBJr. 6x SimpliPhi 3.8 Kw 24vdc, , Magnum 4024 PAE.
Off-grid since 1980 and, maybe, done growing my system

ClassicCrazy

What firmware version are you running on your classics ? Are they in Follow me mode ?
Didn't your Classics come with temp compensation sensor ?  If so why not just plug it in ?
I just reread my original post and don't know the answer to your question since I have always had the temp sensor installed.
You might want to save your settings with local status app and then do VMM reset , and then reinstall your settings with local status app and see if that helps. But if you don't have the latest firmware I would think updating that would be a good thing to and then do the VMM.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Wizbandit

If I remember correctly setting T-COMP in the Classic to DISABLED sets the Classic to use 25C for temperature charging compensation and also disables the function Hi Batt in the LIMITS menu.  If you need this function the best we can do is set T-Comp = -0.5 mV  for no T-Comp even though it is going to apply a little.