Midnite Classic 200, dumpload and over voltage protection.

Started by drah, February 13, 2020, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drah

Hi guys,

I’ve build a system combinated of solar and Wind. The solar part runs on a controller for itself. My windturbine which is a 2 kW 48 volt 40 AMP model (haven’t seen more than 1100watts at Peak yet) is connected to my wonderfull Classic 200. This is my first running system and it’s a 12 volt system for now. Soon to be changed into 48 volt for the household and 24 for another project of mine.

I’m building a dumpload of 5-6 200 watts 1R resistors (wirebound) to handle the 1000 watts load to be dumped. Trying to do his with 2 SSR relays since they Cant handle more than 40 amps each.
My problem and question to you pro’s inhere, is how I control the load when the Classic 200 hits 212 volt and therefore goes into a protection mode and shuts off. I would like the Classic 200 to divert the load to aux 1 or 2 so that my windturbine doesn’t freewheel. Any suggestions on how to do this? I’ve read a lot of the manual before asking but I can’t find anything.

Would it be better for me to get a Classic 250 when my turbine reaches those high voltages? Or will the lower AMP limit on the 250 result in the same problem??

Hope you Can help me.

Kind Regards,
Dan, Denmark

ClassicCrazy

I dont' know too much about wind power and controllers but I know someone who does and he wrote this up so maybe it can be of some help to you .
http://www.windsine.org/2017/05/28/windtac-controller/

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on February 13, 2020, 10:57:40 PM

Larry...   You know Roy, too ?
yep he lives just up the hill from me where the wind blows strong .
And good thing since he has lots of good advice on electronics and ham radio too.
Bob  I remember you said you can't play ham radio because of the noise in your area but you should  try out FT8 sometime.
It might do the job since it can work just above the noise level.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on February 14, 2020, 11:46:42 AM

And good thing since he has lots of good advice on electronics and ham radio too.
Bob  I remember you said you can't play ham radio because of the noise in your area but you should  try out FT8 sometime.

Larry

Thanks Larry !

I am in Sun City, AZ for a while working from where the WX is a bit better.  I put up a 20 meter single ended antenna and the background noise is MUCH better here !!!

Using an FT-891  HF rig right now.  Nice radio

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on February 14, 2020, 07:18:20 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on February 14, 2020, 11:46:42 AM

Larry

Thanks Larry !

I am in Sun City, AZ for a while working from where the WX is a bit better.  I put up a 20 meter single ended antenna and the background noise is MUCH better here !!!

Using an FT-891  HF rig right now.  Nice radio

Good idea getting to somewhere there is sun and it is nice out.
It was minus 20F here last night but will be back up to 36 tomorrow .
The other day in 30's temp I put up 160 meter loop not too high but it works good.
Maybe hear  you on the bands some day .
My FT8 from other day on 17meters
Larry  WT9M

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

drah

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on February 13, 2020, 08:20:12 PM
I dont' know too much about wind power and controllers but I know someone who does and he wrote this up so maybe it can be of some help to you .
http://www.windsine.org/2017/05/28/windtac-controller/

Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the link to a site describing dumpload and systems using this very good. It’s great stuff! But as I wrote, my issue is related to the midnite Classic. How to use aux 1 and 2. If aux 2 is on when midnite Classic hits the state of “HyperVOC” (yellow or orange led is on) and the load to the batteries are cut. I wrote Over Voltage Protection in my message last, my bad. But it is actually exactly what it is :)

Maybe I should have asked a more specific question:

When Midnite Classic Enter the mode “Over Voltage Protection”:
1. Will Aux 2 be activated?
2. Can Aux 2 be activated/configured to do so?
3. Can Aux 1 be activated?

I’ve read the manual and haven’t been able to find more than “HyperVOC shuts of power to the batteries until input voltage comes back below the limit (200volts for Classic 200).” So we are told that it cuts the charging power but nothing about what can be done!? When running a turbine, the most important thing is to keep a load on it at all times. If bot, it’ll freewheel and maybe selfdestruct.

So, what I would love to know is, if anyone in here knows if it’s possible to activate Aux 1 or 2 when and if HyperVOC mode is reached!?

Thanks guys...

ClassicCrazy

I don't know answer to your question . As far as I understand hyper voc is designed to cut off pv on extra cold nights when the open circuit voltage would be higher than good for classic . The string sizer on midnite site tells what voltage will be within range and work for hyper voc and what is too high to work with classic for PV. I don't know if it is designed at all for wind turbines . Maybe someone else could help if they know the answers to your questions.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

To get the Aux output(s) to activate, just use a mode that activates on PV input voltage.

Clipper or Vpv Trigger should work for these.   Just set the voltage for somewhere around 200 volts...

Maybe just a few volts lower than 200 V

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

drah

Hi Larry and boB :)

Thanks for your answers.

Classic is certainly for windturbines! It may even be the best on the market. Note that when turning the Classic on for the first time a choice of mode is presented to you. Solar, Wind or Hydro.

Tonight I noticed than when the voltage input was higher than 200+ this happened. Orange led turns on. Aux2 is displayed on the screen. If input went over 212 volts HyperVOC is activated and Aux2 stays active/on and it’s here the load now is of and the turbine freewheels! If the input stays under 212 (200 + bat power) HyperVOC is not activated, the load stays on and the turbine runs without issues. Aux is briefly active/on.

What I’m going to do is to make a system which brakes the turbine some, by sending a resisted load back against the turbine. This I’m going to do using 3 wirebound 5R resistors put on each phase on the AC part before the rectifier. I’m building this to be used manually first but the plan is to have the Classic activate a SSR relay with 3 ports.
So, if any of you know which State Aux2 is in when activated by HyperVOC/AMP limit if it’s PWM or Dry contact/relay and I need to move jumper jp1 or jp3, please let me know :)

This can be made with a voltage controlled relay too but where’s the fun in that?

Thanks guys :)

boB

Oh, well yes, the turbine will definitely freewheel if you aren't loading it on the turbine side.  That's the only way to really do that.

Your idea of loading the turbine on the AC side is  ~THE~  way to go !   That  IS what a Clipper is and on the AC side of the rectifier is the way to connect it up.  That way it doesn't dump the INPUT to the Classic....  Just the turbine.   No capacitors to discharge AND if you use the proper  SSRs, (zero crossing triggered TRIACs)  then there are will be less stress on things.

All TRIACS turn OFF on zero crossing but turning ON can be either anywhere in the cycle OR on zero crossings.

Also, the charging state does not matter on when the Aux output turns on when told to turn on above a certain input voltage.  It just does it.   Don't want to wait for summer time to turn off your coat !    Oh !  What a weird analogy ?  :)
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me