Author Topic: Anyone using forklift lead acid batteries  (Read 2298 times)

ClassicCrazy

Re: Anyone using forklift lead acid batteries
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 01:00:45 AM »
I brought home two recently.  Haven't crushed my toes yet.  Unloading video:   https://photos.app.goo.gl/G9JUjG4SmuEC6yGFA    I moved them by levering with a large steel prybar, and rolling on pipes.   Exide / GNB Tubular LMX model    1900#, 48v, 540Ah each.   I estimate that translates to 1294Ah total at C/20 which is more like how I might use them.

I am setting up the parts from a DC Solar trailer as a battery backup off grid system.  Work in process, need to build a box and venting.  They can _stink_ when charging.  I added midpack fuses yesterday.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/q1euFhioH266nPvW9

They seem to be ok so far.  I don't think I'd want some of the solar trailer batteries, they could have been abused, especially the light tower ones if they're older and have been used like at the racetracks, IMHO.  It's possible to get some idea though.  The SMA inverters have SOC histogram data,  mine said 98 or 99% of time between 90-100 SOC.  Being either lucky or careful in picking which trailer to buy at auction, I think this set were just on the trailer being float charged by the solar for the last two years or so.  There were different model forklift batteries used at different time periods.

I load tested them from 100% down to about 70%, and they seem to have about the right capacity for new.  Electrolyte level was a little low, below the top of the plates.  I added 16 gallons total I think, to the total of 48 cells.  Sounds like a lot, but these are 'low maintenance' with large head space in each cell, maybe not much less than 1/3 gal.   

I probably wouldn't have chosen to buy these, but they came with all the other stuff on the trailer, so I'll use them as long as they work.  Certainly plenty of load capacity, but maybe not so efficient round trip energy wise, especially if staying up in higher SOC range for longer life, just gassing away energy.

Disposing of them someday will be an adventure too.  Maybe I can find someone who can pick them up with a liftgate truck?
Maybe when it comes time to dispose them you can cut the buss bars and pull each cell out and move separately .
Glad your toes are okay - watched your video - gravity helps !

Larry
system one
Classic 150 , 5s4p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system two
Classic 150 ,5s 135 watt Kyocero , 16s Calb 100AH LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system three
Midnite KID MPPT 24 DC in to  12 volt AGM batterie

qrper

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »
Thats a nice set up.

Wonder if you're doing 24 or 48V system?

I'm not sure what you mean by racetrack batteries.

When they are kaput, the cores are still worth quite a lot. I've seen companies that advertise for used forklift batteries. I'd be they'd come and pick them up for free or very little.

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

qrper

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 10:04:30 AM »
Oops....

re-read you post.

I see 48V system.

mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

qrper

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 10:06:22 AM »
I brought home two recently.  Haven't crushed my toes yet.  Unloading video:   https://photos.app.goo.gl/G9JUjG4SmuEC6yGFA    I moved them by levering with a large steel prybar, and rolling on pipes.   Exide / GNB Tubular LMX model    1900#, 48v, 540Ah each.   I estimate that translates to 1294Ah total at C/20 which is more like how I might use them.

I am setting up the parts from a DC Solar trailer as a battery backup off grid system.  Work in process, need to build a box and venting.  They can _stink_ when charging.  I added midpack fuses yesterday.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/q1euFhioH266nPvW9

They seem to be ok so far.  I don't think I'd want some of the solar trailer batteries, they could have been abused, especially the light tower ones if they're older and have been used like at the racetracks, IMHO.  It's possible to get some idea though.  The SMA inverters have SOC histogram data,  mine said 98 or 99% of time between 90-100 SOC.  Being either lucky or careful in picking which trailer to buy at auction, I think this set were just on the trailer being float charged by the solar for the last two years or so.  There were different model forklift batteries used at different time periods.

I load tested them from 100% down to about 70%, and they seem to have about the right capacity for new.  Electrolyte level was a little low, below the top of the plates.  I added 16 gallons total I think, to the total of 48 cells.  Sounds like a lot, but these are 'low maintenance' with large head space in each cell, maybe not much less than 1/3 gal.   

I probably wouldn't have chosen to buy these, but they came with all the other stuff on the trailer, so I'll use them as long as they work.  Certainly plenty of load capacity, but maybe not so efficient round trip energy wise, especially if staying up in higher SOC range for longer life, just gassing away energy.

Disposing of them someday will be an adventure too.  Maybe I can find someone who can pick them up with a liftgate truck?
Maybe when it comes time to dispose them you can cut the buss bars and pull each cell out and move separately .
Glad your toes are okay - watched your video - gravity helps !

Larry

I wonder if one of those Harbor Freight 'engine pullers' has enough grunt to lift one of those up. Wouldn't need to be too high, just off of the floor

mike

daklein

• Newby
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »
I thought for a short time about cutting _all_ the bus bars in order to carry them down to the basement and set it all up down there.  The cells are about 90 pounds, so they could be carried.   An engine hoist sort of crane would help.  I decided on keeping in the garage for now.

racetracks:  The trailers were sold or used at a number of Nascar tracks.  The LED tower models had a load of maybe 1000W of LEDs, and I guess that could be enough load to abuse the batteries vs. the power available from 2650W of solar, depending on how they were used, maybe the lights have timers or were only used sometimes.  Just speculating.

jedon

• Newby
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 12:41:41 PM »
I'm running a 48V 56kWh forklift battery with a watering system. It's great! I was running 24 GC2's previously, they never really lasted more than a couple years so the forklift battery, although expensive at $7K will be worth it in the long run since they last around 20 years if treated right.

qrper

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »
I'm running a 48V 56kWh forklift battery with a watering system. It's great! I was running 24 GC2's previously, they never really lasted more than a couple years so the forklift battery, although expensive at $7K will be worth it in the long run since they last around 20 years if treated right.

Wonder did you purchase this battery new or used, or refurbished?

mike