Doesn't change from float to bulk next day???

Started by billmill, April 07, 2020, 12:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

Hi Bill,

You will need to have a copy of the Classic manual.

Please choose the manual version from the list,  here:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/doc_prod_list.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=21&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers%20-%20Classics

In the back part of the manual,  around page 72,  or so,   is a Menu Map,  that will help  you understand how the menus are laid out.

The Clock is in the Misc menu.   When setting the clock,   like most other menu items,  be certain to press Enter,  when you have reset the time.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: billmill on April 10, 2020, 07:12:07 AM
How do I check the clock and set ti correctly?

On the MNGP right round button to the setting - go to Misc and there is a Time setting in there to adjust the clock.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

In the time an date set menu you can also check that the time inside the classic itself.

I think it's the LEFT-ARROW you hold down and tap the UPPER-RIGHT soft key it should
bring up the Classic time-date.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

billmill

Within the misc time setting, the clock and date is already set correctly but I don't see any options fo a 12 or 24 hour setting?

Vic

Hi Bill,

IIRC,   there is NO option for a 12 hr clock.   It really needs to 24 hours,   particularly when thinking about Logging.

My guess,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

billmill

There is no option to set a 12 or 24 hour day that I can see in the midnite controller under misc time.  Only setting the actual time which I have already done.

Vic

Bill,   you may have missed my previous Post,   as we Posted within several minutes of each other.

The Classic Clock IS 24 hours.   There is no AM/PM.   1:00 PM is 13:00,   etc.

Vic

billmill

Lol I gathered. 
So the things I changed or decided to do were,  reading the battery set up types and efficiencies link here in the posts, setting on the shunt function in WBjr, leaving my end charge at 3.6, changing my efficiency to 95 instead of 85%, and setting my absorb from 2 hrs to 4.  I also created a battery cell chart and copied 10 of them, did a hydro reading of every cell and unhooked every battery (all were higher than recommended at %100 SOC), cleaned, reconditioned and charged all 12 batteries, hooked the Midnight to my modem installed the Midnite solar status panel on my computer and re-checked the timer on the Midnite controller.

I still need to run through the end amps process with no load and figure out the best number for that.  What do you predict will be the best setting on one year old 48v system with 12 Trojan J200 RE batteries that are in excellent condition?  I still have not wrapped my thoughts around the end amp concept yet but did search and read the posts here.  My thoughts are I should lower the end amps less than 3.6 eh? 

Does anyone use an app to remote view\control their system with their phone?  If so which one is best for android?

billmill

Looks like something worked because its 8:15am here and just noticed I am in bulk mode with 85 volts, 122 watts, and 2.4 amps coming in the system.

The SOC is at 94%with a 100 watt over night load.  Not sure if that corresponds to a correct DOD or not since I  don't know much about that so far but things are looking up.

Vic

Hi Bill,

OK  on your measurements and progress.

One note on the Hydrometer:    Be certain to rinse your Hydro,   at least three times,   with Distilled Water,  to help keep its readings accurate.

SG readings on your Hydrometer do need temperature compensation if the batteries are cold,   or hot.   Normally,   this is not needed for batteries kept in a moderate environment.

There is a Classic Monitoring App for Android phones,   written by Graham:
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=1589.0

If all of your battery strings are all balanced,   and working well together,   you should have approximately 800 Ah of Capacity (IIRC).   This would suggest that you might expect a nominal EA value of approximately 8 A,   where the Wb current stops diminishing,  in Absorb.   This assumes that your battery does not need an EQ,   and that your DOD in the previous cycle is only to about 85,   or 90% SOC,   and your Absorb voltage is correctly temperature compensated,    you are using a nominal Absorb voltage,  recommended by Trojan,   etc.

FWIW,    Vic

billmill

Batteries are in the basement and constant 66' F.  I washed the Hydro in distilled water at least 5 times after I did the readings.  Thanks for the link to the app.  I will check it out.

Vic

Quote from: billmill on April 12, 2020, 07:59:02 AM

â€¦    So the things I changed or decided to do were   â€¦     changing my efficiency to 95 instead of 85%, and setting my absorb from 2 hrs to 4   ...

Hi Bill,

A couple of things:

New Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) batteries in our off-grid systems are not 95%,   or 85%,  or,  probably not even 75% efficient.  The efficiency specs form most FLA manufacturers are based on taking the battery to 0% SOC,   usually at the 20-Hour Rate,   recharging it at that rate,   and measuring how many Ah it required to fully-charge the battery.   Then calculate the efficiency from that.

We do not use our batteries in that manner.   Often,  our average rate of discharge is at the 100 hour value,   or,   even lower.  This makes the battery appear to have a greater Capacity.

Most battery manufacturers specify an on-grid profile,   so,  they can spec a constant charge rate (constant current),   which our PV charge systems cannot provide in any reasonable amount of time.

And so on  …

One note on the accuracy of SOC readings on essentially any battery monitor,   is that the SOC readings are only an approximation.   A rough estimate,   because there are SO many variables that affect SOCs,   depending on just how the battery was discharged,   and re-charged.

Battery monitors,  and the WbJr can count Ah into and out of the battery very accurately,   but actual SOC needs to account for many other factors,  that these devices simply cannot.

You will want to set a fairly long Absorb timer setting,  when your are watching the Wb battery charge current,   as noted previously.   But,   with normal charging form 85-ish percent SOC,  you should not need 4 hours of Absorb,   just trying to be clear.

All IMO,  FWIW,     Have fun,   be safe,    Vic