adaptive EV charger

Started by australsolarier, May 09, 2020, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

australsolarier

i have an island system and an ioniq. whilst charging the car i do not want to use power from the battery but from the sun, unless i am in a hurry.
i just wonder if the whiz bang jr could be used to send a signal to an EV charger to regulate charging. i know they have adaptive chargers for grid feed systems to avoid feeding in.

EV's are the future, maybe midnite solar wants to look into the future too?

ClassicCrazy

Look up Will's project on the forums here - maybe in the Arduino section. He wrote and shared code to do what I think you are asking about .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

australsolarier

classic crazy thanks for the answer.
unfortunately the forum search function is extremely lousy and nothing comes up when typing in "Will's project"

ClassicCrazy

For some reason you need to go back to first forum home page to do any searches. I don't understand why that is.
Anyway here is the info - there may be other links in that topic .
Will  built circuit and controls to charge EV when there was extra power available.
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=2511.0

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

WillEert

Just happened tp check this topic. Thanks for thinking of me Larry. Attached are two stand alone Arduino C code sketches that run the car. The charger used is the OpenEVSE level 2 charger that is also Arduino based and open source code. The Open Evse Arduino controls the charging system by using a RAPI command system. The charger operates fully automatically in that it turns itself on, increments and decrements the charge rate according to available energy and then turns itself off at the end of the day. I need this as we live off grid but want to have an EV but also not worry about our batteries etc.

Disclaimer: This code was removed from the main code in an Arduino Mega for clarity's sake. I have not tried to run this code as stand alone but all of the logic, RAPI commands etc are as I run them.

Hijack of string: It is exciting times for EV owners and solar people off grid or not.

- Fermata Energy has received certification for the first EVSE that also has Vehicle to Grid V2G capability. That means that off gridders can now start to use their car batteries as an energy supply for their house. It seem however this only works with a Nissan Leaf but is indicative of where the world is going. Charge your car at work - come home and run your house at night...
https://www.fermataenergy.com/

- OSSIACO is building an integrated EVSE, Charge controller and inverter. I have not had time to get all the details on this unit to see if it will operate as an off grid device but initially this device answers a lot of questions. They say this apparatus will do V2G with any CCS or Chademo EV. I hope this is correct.
https://dcbel.ossiaco.com/

Will
(1)24 ET 185 mono, Classic 150,8x Surrette 6CS25p, 4x Magnum 4448, homecooked diversion system;(2)15 Heliene 330 mono,Classic 150;(3)2X6 Hansol345mono, 2 stand alone Hotspot ACDC12C Minisplit heat pumps.(4)15 Hanwha Q cell 400 1/2 cell, Classic 200: (5)1X6 HanwhaQcell 400 1 Hotspot minisplit ACDC18C

ClassicCrazy

Will,
My neighbor has a large PV, Tesla car, and now also Tesla power walls.
I think it can do some smart stuff of diverting power to car - but not sure if it will go backwards.
My neighbor believes in Tesla . Me - I would want to have the control of it and not hand everything over to them . I know their cars are always talking back to the mother Tesla ship. 
I like the open source local control approach better !

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

WillEert

We want to use our EV more so this summer my project is to put another array- well actually two arrays. The good thing is that this lets me buy another Classic. The new power array is 9 X 400w Hanwha Qcell panels. I also have to add another inverter etc. This was really motivated by the desire to have another of the HotSpot heat pumps in order to heat our garage area in winter, which also adds more cooling in the summer to the house. Since the building that the panels will go on will hold 15 panels and the heat pump uses 6 in a series PV direct configuration it made sense to add 9 more and use the extra power for the car. I expect to spend quite a bit of time this fall typing code to integrate the new Classic to the family. Fun!!

One thing I have learned about EV's is that there is many types of "fast charging". Each battery type and manufacturer puts different parameters on the charge rate. The charge rate varies dramatically with battery state of charge and temperature of the battery. Sadly my Bolt has slow fast charging compared to a Tesla which has fast fast charging. This does not matter if you travel seldom and mostly use your home charger but I would not buy another EV without investigating the fast charge rate curves. Rivian? Lordstown?

Will
(1)24 ET 185 mono, Classic 150,8x Surrette 6CS25p, 4x Magnum 4448, homecooked diversion system;(2)15 Heliene 330 mono,Classic 150;(3)2X6 Hansol345mono, 2 stand alone Hotspot ACDC12C Minisplit heat pumps.(4)15 Hanwha Q cell 400 1/2 cell, Classic 200: (5)1X6 HanwhaQcell 400 1 Hotspot minisplit ACDC18C

ClassicCrazy

Will ,
Are you going to continue using Arduino code  for your processor ?
Seems like with all your systems you might want to check out Node Red since you could run it on a Raspberry Pi - or a computer and then use it to integrate all your systems. But yeah that is just a lot more to learn - I haven't figured it all out - but I haven't ever gotten to the level of coding that you have with Arduino either.  I suppose you could still use Arduino for your control but also bring the data over to a Pi for added monitoring and messaging features.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
If you have been watching the other thread - Graham and Matt have written the code for Classic  to have multiple connections via MQTT so no more limitations to just being confined to one device at a time . Also I think Graham has something that will allow multiple modbus over IP connections too - I am not up to speed on that one but trying to hook it up. I think what Graham has going on that is to connect to the Classic via serial and then use an Esp32 to make multiple modbus over IP ports using the esp32 built in wifi.
I do have a Raspberry Pi connected to Classic over IP modbus and then can connect as many devices as I want to the Pi using MQTT . It has been very stable and works great. You might want to check it out.
Just let me know if you want any help getting a Pi set up for MQTT - it is pretty well documented . Seems like that will be a great asset to monitoring all your chargers.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

WillEert

Hi Larry,

Thank you for this tip. I have looked at the Pi system and find it very interesting. You are correct - continuing to integrate more chargers into the Arduino system becomes a headache. The main problem is that the Classic uses RS 232 vs Canbus or RS 485. This means the Arduino runs out of ports. One can program virtual ports to make the connections that need to be made however I have not done that as the virtual ports have their own idiosyncrasy's.

For the new charger I am planning to add another Arduino. At present they RX and TX data between themselves which works quite well and I have a port left on one of the Arduino's that will let me add on. I thought in the interest of expediency, as I want to get this running, I would add to the control I have and then rebuild it to streamline the code and equipment over the winter.

I have bought coding books and looked at them in preparation for moving to a different system but: So little time - so many codes....

Will

ClassicCrazy

Will,
Take a look at Andreas Spiess youtube channel. He has done a lot of good overviews of how to use Raspberry Pi with Node Red and also lots of video on other sensors and controls.  Might give  you some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu7_D0o48KbfhpEohoP7YSQ
Also you might take interest in some of the other programming platforms he has covered that might make your arduino programming and debugging easier too.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

australsolarier

thanks for all the contributions.
i was more thinking that midnite classic would get into it. sort of an add on box. for example victron is into it.
there will be more and more electric cars. it is a sure winner.