A Few Classic questions prior to purchase

Started by Narrowboat boy, May 14, 2020, 05:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowboat boy

Yes it looks great , though I expect the classic needs a hard connection to the router or will it do it by WiFi ? As am on boat my router is mobile 4g with no inputs except for antenna. So if so will need new router though been. Threatening to for a while , kind of clunky having wires all over but can prob make it work

Off grid boater with 6 x 270w Perlight delta black panels , Midnite Classic 150 ,Whizbang Jr /
Victron Phoenix Multiplus 120/12/3000 inverter /charger combo , 5 x Victron 110 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Batteries , Honda 2.2eui back up gennie

Narrowboat boy

Hey just thought can i plug a WiFi USB modem into the classic USB port and will that allow it to connect to my router wirelessly? Would that work ? Or does it have to come from the Ethernet jack ? If so I suppose could attach a usb WiFi modem to that just a not as neat . Wires are a narrow boats worse enemy when your living space is 6feet 10 wide by 50 feet long lol
Off grid boater with 6 x 270w Perlight delta black panels , Midnite Classic 150 ,Whizbang Jr /
Victron Phoenix Multiplus 120/12/3000 inverter /charger combo , 5 x Victron 110 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Batteries , Honda 2.2eui back up gennie

mike90045

The classic has no internal wifi, so you may have to get a ethernet - wifi gizmo to plug into the ethernet jack.

I hard wired my classic ethernet jack to a conventional wifi router and it works fine that way with the Local App & windows.

I don't believe the ethernet jack on the classic provides any power, so you may have to steal power from somewhere to power the wifi
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Narrowboat boy

Quote from: mike90045 on May 30, 2020, 03:38:24 PM
The classic has no internal wifi, so you may have to get a ethernet - wifi gizmo to plug into the ethernet jack.

I hard wired my classic ethernet jack to a conventional wifi router and it works fine that way with the Local App & windows.

I don't believe the ethernet jack on the classic provides any power, so you may have to steal power from somewhere to power the wifi

Hi Mike
Thought as much , I have a plan to buy a new mobile router which has an Ethernet input . It has a 240volt power adapter but actually that puts out 12volt 2amp so I can wire a 12volt supply through a dc dc converter to regulate the supply and mount it on the outside of my electrical cupboard and run cables for enet and power through the wooden divide.

Still can’t decide which approach is best though pwm via aux 2 and ssr or aux 1 for dump load and whiz bang on aux 2 ? Any thoughts on best approach are appreciated really want to have a bigger load as will have loads of spare power in summer but worried the load will be too big in autumn and spring if just controlled by aux1 simple on off rather than aux 2 gradual control. But using whizzbang and end amps etc is also very attractive.