mnpv6 with 2 controllers

Started by mirra, May 18, 2020, 01:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirra

hi all

question can in split mnpv6 to run 18 295 solar panels in two controllers

split 3 strings one side and 3 string to other  ?

ClassicCrazy

I did that before  I cut the breaker buss bar in half and taped up the ends to make sure they wouldn't touch . Though one problem is I think the buss bar only comes with one terminal  lug that fits into it . ( looking at some photos now not sure if the breaker buss bar comes with one or two lugs - I see photos of both ) So you need to figure out some other way to attach the wire to  the other half. And then you need to decide if your negatives can share the common negative buss bar or if those need to be isolated from each other too.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mirra

thanks Larry

how can i know if i can share all the pv grounds?  i  have 2 fm 80

Vic

Hi mirra,  Welcome to the Forum.

The last time that I used an MNPV  6,   IIRC,   the upper positive busbar (the combined output,  that feeds the CC input),   was segmented  --  two busses,  that overlapped  --   for use with a single Charge Controller (CC),   or separated,  when feeding two  CCs.

At that time,  believe that there might have been only a single Lug for connection of the positive  cable,   feeding the CC,   that came with that Combiner.   IIRC,   each half of the positive busbar had a square hole,  that accepts cable Lug/s.

If the CCs need isolated negatives from each PV Array,   the MNPV6 has provisions for mounting a second Negative busbar (but this busbar needs to be purchased separately).

Here is some info on the MNPV Combiners,  with a diagram that shows an MNPV6 feeding two separate CCs:
EDIT to fix link:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/MidNite%20PV%20Combiners%20explained%20w%20diagrams.pdf

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

Hi mirra,

I am NOT Larry,   but  only Schneider CCs,   the MNKID,   and one,  or two oters  --  the Bluesea (?) and perhaps the PT-100  CCs must have separate grounds for each array,   for battery-based systems.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Vic

The following Combiner manual DOES refer to cutting the single busbar,   so it is not clear (to me),  what is the state of current-production MNPV6es:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/MNPV3_6_REV-H_10-010-1__manual.pdf

FWIW, Vic

boB

Vic, that first link appears to have been a link to a file on your local computer ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi boB,

Thanks,   indeed,   â€¦   had tried to save the Pic of just that one diagram,   but could not   â€¦   gotta phone call,   and did not ever get back to test that link (as we usually do).

SO,   near the bottom of the following doc,   there is a pic of a dual CC with split Positive busbars:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/MidNite%20PV%20Combiners%20explained%20w%20diagrams.pdf

Edited the prior Post with the defective link.

Thanks.   Believe that the exactness of just what the present configuration of the MNPV6 busbars,   buss lugs,   etc IS now,  is not clear to me.  There were some changes,  with the advent of Fuses,   HV,   etc.

Thanks for awakening me,  boB.   Vic