Pwm on aux1

Started by Narrowboat boy, May 31, 2020, 05:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowboat boy

I know this has been talked about before here in 2014 but since i am close to purchase and would REALLY like to have this so I can run whizzbang and pwm dump load I wanted to check this wasn’t an Imminent release , as would kick myself if I bought current version and it came just after?
Off grid boater with 6 x 270w Perlight delta black panels , Midnite Classic 150 ,Whizbang Jr /
Victron Phoenix Multiplus 120/12/3000 inverter /charger combo , 5 x Victron 110 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Batteries , Honda 2.2eui back up gennie

ClassicCrazy

You won't get pwm on aux1 on this model Classic.
Any updates are done via firmware now and I believe pwm limitation of aux1 is a hardware issue or else it would have been updated to that capability a long time ago.
As has been mentioned you can get additional pwm capabilities by using other microcontrollers to do that but it takes a bit of education to figure out how to do it . Will Ert documented on the forum here how he integrated an Arduino with the Classic to do PWM  but it isn't plug and play solution without the understanding of how put it all together and  to make it work .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

True.  With an external Arduino or rPi or whatever, you can make whatever you want regarding Aux outputs.

Aux 1  cannot be made into an INPUT which is required for Whizbang Junior interfaces but "could" be a PWM output with a change in software.

That change is not an up and coming thing for Aux 1 but at least you wouldn't have to buy new hardware to get that feature if it ever comes up.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Narrowboat boy

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 31, 2020, 12:51:59 PM
You won't get pwm on aux1 on this model Classic.
Any updates are done via firmware now and I believe pwm limitation of aux1 is a hardware issue or else it would have been updated to that capability a long time ago.
As has been mentioned you can get additional pwm capabilities by using other microcontrollers to do that but it takes a bit of education to figure out how to do it . Will Ert documented on the forum here how he integrated an Arduino with the Classic to do PWM  but it isn't plug and play solution without the understanding of how put it all together and  to make it work .

Larry
I looked about using a Morningstar TriStar pwm for this but to be honest it as a scarey solution in my opinion as it locks the mppt into bulk mode and if you don’t have a huge dump load it could easily  fry your batteries and everything else seems direct at wind not solar it seems , I don’t know what an arduono is , is it even available in Europe? Please remember even the most basic midnite kit is very unavailable in uk it’s a real hard search to get a fee bits let alone any support .

Bob how about getting a decent uk distribution network ?

Raspberry pi I know of but never used could look At that I guess

Simon
Off grid boater with 6 x 270w Perlight delta black panels , Midnite Classic 150 ,Whizbang Jr /
Victron Phoenix Multiplus 120/12/3000 inverter /charger combo , 5 x Victron 110 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Batteries , Honda 2.2eui back up gennie

boB

Will ask about the UK connection.  I thought we had one ?  I know we had connections in Spain etc...

Arduino's are just another small computer board but not as useful as the Raspberri Pi I would say.

There are many others as well but would require programming experience.  I thought that Graham might be in the UK but maybe not...

He does a lot of DIY stuff that interfaces to the Classic.  Just for grins, you might look at his page that shows his open source projects...

https://github.com/ClassicDIY

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

bee88man

Simon, You are missing the boat in the UK...Open Energy Monitor has been doing surplus diversion for quite some time...

Narrowboat boy

Quote from: bee88man on May 31, 2020, 10:50:51 PM
Simon, You are missing the boat in the UK...Open Energy Monitor has been doing surplus diversion for quite some time...

Thanks for that , seems to be all about mains loads though in houses not dc loads on boats so not sure how to convert their systems plus it’s quite complicated for someone who who may understand the hardware but has zero programming experience , I am of an era where we didn’t even have a zx81 at school and bbc micros were too new for my time .

bee88man

Ahh I see, different since DC.

FYI: As for AC Diversion programming is provided by experts and only needs loaded into miccrochip...simple enough.