News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

KID RF Hash

Started by Tobit, June 05, 2020, 01:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobit

Thanks Vic, the big torroids I want are $50 each and I just cant afford them right now.  Hopefully next month. 

boB

Quote from: Tobit on June 05, 2020, 10:06:19 PM
Thanks Vic, the big torroids I want are $50 each and I just cant afford them right now.  Hopefully next month.

Try this one from either Digikey or Mouser....  Probably big enough for all 4 wires...   

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/fair-rite-products-corp/2631626202/1934-1078-ND/8593980

OR

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fair-Rite/2631626202?qs=JTtBSkyWskgiFt1KtbsXbg%3D%3D

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi boB,

The first Link gives a 403 Error  --  Blocked  …

KF7P  has some Mix 31 cores.   The one on the left at the bottom of the following page  is huge.   Probably not needed to be this large a window area,  it is 4" OD,  3" ID,  but only 1" high,  for $20.00.   Should be easy to get a number of turns of large cables,   although one might want a stack of 2 - 3 :

https://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/Ferrite_chokes.html

The above is a very good price,   as,  our club ordered at least 100 ea of these,  about 2 years ago.   Our cost,   delivered was $16.00,   and that was before the Tariff added.

FWIW,     73,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

gee Vic - what did you do to Digikey that they blocked you ! ha ha
That first link works for me - here is a screen shot
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the screen shot.   Do not know  just why the blockage.   Probably Windoze 10,   or more breath mints are needed here.

73  Thanks,   as always!    Vic  . .
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

boB

$11.00  or so is a pretty good price for these in onsies.   We bought 25 or something like these a few years ago for about $8 each.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Tobit

Thnks guys, will try to get some in a few weeks and report back.

Vic

Hi boB,   that is a handsome core,   and looks like a lot of core for the $$.

And,   Tobit,   one additional "thought";   It is possible that your 7300 radio is more susceptible to noise entering via its DC power cable,   than other radios (possibly)might be.

If you have another HF+6M 12 V radio,  it might be worth a try to see how any other radio handles this situation. This is probably not a solution,   but,   just another experiment.

73 to all,   and Tobit please let us know of any results of your efforts.   GL,  Vic

boB

I just bought a switchmode 13.6V 30A power supply from Powerx for $100. 

My ham friends SWEAR that it did NOT cause RFI.  It does make RFI. 

Maybe not on 20 meters and up but certainly does on 40 meters and below every 35 kHz or so

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi boB,

There sure many,   many variables,  when it comes to RFI.

I have had good luck with Astron SMPS 12 V supplies:  SS-30s in particular for VHF/UHF base and mobile rigs.

For the main Hammie XCVRs here,  have used 200 W rigs,  that have built-in power supplies,  for the past 15 years. The built in supplies  probably give some level of reduction in any  Line Conducted emissions.   But,  of course conducted emissions on DC cables are quite a different animal,  than are those conducted on the AC mains.

Also,   many 12 V HF base station,   really prefer about 13.8 VDC,   and 12 V LA batteries that are not on-charge cannot supply this voltage level.  So line-operated supplies can maintain constant output voltages,   etc.

FWIW,   IMO,   73   Vic

Tobit

Quote from: Vic on June 06, 2020, 04:57:42 PM
Also,   many 12 V HF base station,   really prefer about 13.8 VDC,   and 12 V LA batteries that are not on-charge cannot supply this voltage level.  So line-operated supplies can maintain constant output voltages,   etc.
My 7300 is doing well on the 12V bank. While a steady 13.8VDC is nice, it is spec'd for +/- 15%.  Power output does start to fall off when you get down below 12VDC.  I believe 70W PEP around 11.7VDC.  I don't run more than 50W here as I want extended transmit time out of the battery bank.  I also don't like running the battery bank below 40-50% SOC so I have a low voltage disconnect wired in.

Having said all this, I do want to add this battery booster as I'd prefer to keep things at 13.8VDC.  MFJ also makes a couple but this is a better product and I don't buy MFJ.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=battery-boost

Tobit

Some good testing data on running the 7300 at lower voltages.

Vic

Hi Tobit,

Some HF base radios can have elevated IMD,  on voice modes with PS voltages around 13 V,   and below.   This could even be a bit of a poorly-controlled variable.   

But,   it is also quite possible that modern radios might do better at low Vin,  compared to vintage rigs.

As you probably know,  the ARRL  did review the battery boosters,   a while back.

IIRC,   the MFJ was not junk.   IMO,  they can,   and do make some quality products,   they do also make some value-priced products.   Also  IMO,   their Ameritron products are often well-made.

Just more opinions.   73   GL,     Vic

Tobit

Vic,

I think I'm learning towards the WM booster because it can handle up to 40A whereas the MFJ units are only rated to 25A.  I can run everything in the shack and a couple more things at 13.8VDC better than with the MFJ unit.  N8XJK has done a great job improving his boosters over the past 15 years, it's a solid product.

Vic

OK,  Tobit,

I have no experience with any of the Boosters.

Poked around on the Web,   for reviews,   the following one popped up:
http://www.w0qe.com/N8XJK_battery_booster.html

The main reason that we built this off-grid location,  was due to the desire/need to get away from ALL of the ever-increasing broadband noise sources,  in town.

We are only about 5 - 6 miles away from the power grid,   and it is quiet.  Our power system makes some noise,   but  it is at a very low level,  compared to in-town.

Have fun !   73,   Vic