Midnite showing Voltage in but not Watts or Amps but charging Batteries

Started by JamesHolland2020, June 10, 2020, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesHolland2020

Hello, My Midnite Classic is only displaying the incoming voltage but not the Amps or Watts. The batteries are charging but no Kwh Watts or Amps. Any idea how that is happening or what I can do to fix it?

The attached pic is showing the display with a 1250 watt A.C. unit running.

ClassicCrazy

Make sure that you don't have external shunt selected if you don't have one in your system.

I forget where that setting is on MNGP menus.

now that I am trying to look that up I think I am confusing a setting from the Kid. I think the only setting to change shunt in Classic is to use Whizbang for ending amps .

So not sure why your are not displaying the amps .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

It would be good to see some sort of diagram of how you have your system wired.  Although it does seem like it should read the current if you are charging .
What kind of batteries do you have and what are your Absorb  and Float setpoints.
That voltage should be close to or at Absorb for lead acid batteries.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Do you have a handheld volt meter ?   I would check to see if that same voltage is being read at the battery terminals.

That reading could be because you have a bad connection from Classic to battery.  Positive or negative wire.

Another reason could be that you have another source of power besides the Classic ?

Another reason could be that the Classic's amp-meter circuit is defective.  Not real likely I don't think because the battery voltage is nice and high but you could have a very large PV array ?

Also, another sanity check is to note what the open circuit voltage of the PV is and what it is charging at.   If the PV input voltage is around 80% of the Voc then it is actually putting out almost all that it can put out.  Near to max power.  BUT it would not be at Absorb voltage more than likely unless it was able to put out enough power to keep it at that Absorb voltage AND put out a lot of current/power.

The amp and watts reading on that Classic status display comes from the internal Classic shunt.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me