Trace SW408UPV grid tie inverter

Started by qrper, June 28, 2020, 10:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qrper

Gang,

I came upon a man that had eight of these inverters new in the box. I've googled the snot out of them, but come up rather short. The best I could do was they are a 48 V gird tie that used  a SW series dc to ac inverter as the guts.

I know lurking in the dark corners of Midnite solar where old tennis shoes go to die, there are some former Trace people. So, what exactly did this thing do?

I can get one, brand spanking new, for $1000. I wonder though if it would be a better idea to get a string inverter and call it done instead of messing with one of these old grid ties.

I'm mike, wb8vge
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

Vic

Hi Mike,   just briefly,

IIRC. these are probably those customized string inverters for a Sacramento, CA utility (SMUD?,  perhaps others),  based on the Trace or Xantrex SW,  or SW+ inverters.    This modification allowed them to run batteryless.

Pehaps,  the model number would be;  SW4048 UPV.   Tried searching for the model that you listed above,   and got little.

In any case,  just why would you want to take on this venerable inverter?   String inverters are not too expensive,   have modern functions/firmware,   would be accepted by your utility (they comply with modern NEC regs,   and so on   â€¦

EDIT:   Mike,   did you see this?:
http://www.energyalternatives.ca/pdf/traceutilitytie_man.pdf

Just some distant possible recollections.   73  GL,   let us know how this goes. Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

qrper

Hi, Vic

I'm not about to run out and get one of these. I was told from the guy that has them they are early 2000s so I'm thinking the electrolytic capacitors maybe an issue. And the fact that for $1k, a bit more would get a string inverter.

I was thinking that perhaps if the price was right, 90% of the thing could be used for replacement parts for my SW5548. Of course, the software wouldn't be the same... but the FET board, transformer, and LCD display would/should work.

Thinking out loud...

I'm mike, wb8vge
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

Vic

Hi Mike,

YES,   I had thought about these INB inverters as spares units.   Many of the parts "should" work in SW5548s.

As you alluded to,   "at the right price" (or similar).   $1K   seems a bit rich   â€¦   but,  where else would one find new parts?

As you know  this line,   as well as the SW+es  are just about the most reliable,  robust,   tough,   surge-capable, that one will ever find.  Standard SWs are about 135 Lbs of Low Frequency inverter-very stout.

The four SW+es here,   are in their 15th year of service  (knock,  knock),   without issue.   Being off-grid does help with their longevity,   as almost all utility Grids are filthy to connect to.

An SW4048 at a neighbor's  was still going strong,   but was replaced because it was 120 VAC,   and a new owner needed 240V.   That one had been in service 22 years,   without issue  --  reliable !!   Great work Trace Engineering !

Anyway,   talk the chap down a bit on the price   â€¦   but,   someday,   one might want some parts that are not in common twix the two different models,   like the EPROM,   or something.

FWIW.   73,   GL,   Vic,   kilo six italy charlie
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Quote from: qrper on June 28, 2020, 03:19:40 PM
Hi, Vic

I'm not about to run out and get one of these. I was told from the guy that has them they are early 2000s so I'm thinking the electrolytic capacitors maybe an issue. And the fact that for $1k, a bit more would get a string inverter.

I was thinking that perhaps if the price was right, 90% of the thing could be used for replacement parts for my SW5548. Of course, the software wouldn't be the same... but the FET board, transformer, and LCD display would/should work.

Thinking out loud...

I'm mike, wb8vge

Mike you are correct.   These would be great for parts !

They are the same (pretty much) as a regular SW4048 except for the firmware.   One of the ROM/Processors may actually be the same as normal SW ?
It's been too long.

California CEC didn't like the efficiency of the SW4048 so we made the SW5548 because it had that higher efficiency rating.  I remember going down to Sacramento back in the mid 1990s to look at or work on a couple of these systems.  Can't remember much about the trip.

But Vic is correct about what they were for.  I do remember a large-ish capacitor across the battery terminals but no battery was used.  Just solar.

One thing I do remember about the SMUD project was that these inverters were attached to the utility side of the inverter so the customer that paid for the system did not get the benefit of the energy sent to the system.   But it made them feel good about doing their part I guess.  :)

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me