Is this site survey justification for facing away from south?

Started by williaty, July 09, 2020, 09:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williaty

We're at the point of actually needing to start setting anchors into the ground for our solar install here at our house. Unfortunately, I did the initial site survey mid-winter, guessing about the obstruction from vegetation and also guessing about where I'd actually be able to put anchors into the ground for the panel mounts. OUPS came out and marked the underground utilities today and my preferred site for the array is out of the question. In trying to find an alternative, I also realized I'd really missed a lot of obstructions in the winter due to lack of leaves. So given that I'm really constrained by where I can put anchors in the ground, there's one site where just looking around I could see a lot more sky than anywhere else. When I did a new survey (using Spyglass on iOS), I realized that due south is basically clobbered by 2 large cherry trees that are in a place I can't access to cut down. I've attached a chart that has the path of the sun through the sky each month vs the treeline. Given that the East sky isn't great, and the South sky is completely clobbered, it seems like the array needs to face southwest (roughly 225*) to maximize the clear sky available from the only location that's even slightly viable. However, "ignoring" half the day just feels really wrong if I'm trying to catch sun! What do you guys think of this?

ClassicCrazy

Is  there a ballasted rack alternative for your preferred site where you don't have to drive in anchors or dig ?
If they put them on roofs why can't you put them on the ground ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

williaty

The ground mount I've bought would be moderately difficult and expensive to switch to a ballasted array and, to be honest, the ideal spot is only *somewhat* better than this spot. Basically it just picks up a small gap east of south before it's blocked by those two big trees.

ClassicCrazy

There is a free app that runs on Android and will use your phone camera to plot the sun position at various times of year as an overlay  so  you can see what is blocked. Seemed pretty accurate the time I messed with it.

I guess you have to work with what you have - what else can you do ? Move or find a friendly neighbor that will host your PV seem to be only other options.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

daklein

Single axis tracker aligned north south?   Get the morning and the afternoon