No update between midnight and 10AM

Started by jacobtuft, July 17, 2020, 12:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobtuft

OK, its confirmed, the problem is tied to the timezone setting on the mymidnite system settings.

When I have my timezone set at Hawaii (UTC-10)  the data starts showing at 10AM.
I changed my timezone last night to UTC-9 and the data started showing at 9AM this am.

Vic, given you say yours starts at 7AM, I'm guessing you're in the pacific time zone.

Most other US timezones would probably never notice this problem.

Unfortunatley, I think this may mean that the fix has to do with the website programming.   Does Midnight support this feature?  Are they likely to fix it?  They have been pretty short or non-responsive to my tech support inquires saying that this is a free feature.  By that do they mean that this is unsupported?

Thanks for all your help along the way.

Aloha,

-Jacob

Vic

Jacob,   YES  we are  PDT.  Near  SFO.      Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Resthome

I’m not close to my Classic or the LA right now and I have no idea if this setting effects data on MyMidnite.  But I seem to remember that there is a setting I believe in the LA to record data a night or something to that effect.  Not sure if there is a similar setting on the MNGP.

You might look around the LA settings and see if you can find it. Seem to be it was a check box. Maybe Ryan knows where it is at and what it’s function is.

John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

KyleM

Quote from: Resthome on July 23, 2020, 12:27:49 AM
I’m not close to my Classic or the LA right now and I have no idea if this setting effects data on MyMidnite.  But I seem to remember that there is a setting I believe in the LA to record data a night or something to that effect.  Not sure if there is a similar setting on the MNGP.

You might look around the LA settings and see if you can find it. Seem to be it was a check box. Maybe Ryan knows where it is at and what it’s function is.

The function you are describing is in the Tweaks menu  3 presses of the more button   NITELOG 

Resthome

Quote from: KyleM on July 24, 2020, 06:56:25 PM

The function you are describing is in the Tweaks menu  3 presses of the more button   NITELOG

Thanks Kyle, does this setting effect data sent to MyMidnite? If not what does it effect and between what hours?
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

jacobtuft

Hi Resthome.  I'm not sure you're asking to help me with my issue or  from your own curiosity about that particular flag.....but as far as my particular problem I've discovered it is related to something else:

Apparently my data IS being sent to my-midnite 24 hours a day by my classic, as it is supposed to.  There is, in fact, no black out period of the data being sent or received by midnite's servers.  The problem is with the display of the data by the mymidnite webpage.  There is some issue with the timezone setting where data does not display before 10AM if I have the timezone set to my correct timezone UTC-10.  If I change it to say eastern timezone, all the data suddenly appears (but has the wrong time of course so is much less useful)

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done from a user perspective on this because it seems to be related to the web page itself....but I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

Thanks for your interest in helping me solve my problem though.

FNG

Quote from: Resthome on July 24, 2020, 11:15:05 PM
Quote from: KyleM on July 24, 2020, 06:56:25 PM

Thanks Kyle, does this setting effect data sent to MyMidnite? If not what does it effect and between what hours?

This function does not apply to My Midnite, it has to do with the minutely data on the classic. When disabled it will not add the minutely data to the classics memory any time it is resting basically

jacobtuft

Well, I found a hack that kind of helps me use web monitoring in the AM during the problem time before 10AM

As I mentioned, I discovered the web site has a problem with my timezone (Hawaii).  If I put later timezones it displays the "missing" data but my timestamps are off.

So, there's a timezone setting setting (UTC+14) which is exactly 24 hours off of hawaii's timezone (UTC-10).  If I use this timezone, my data is available 24 hours a day....the time of the data is correct but it is one day off.  So, this works for my purposes.

Unfortunatley there's another glitch on the web page when using this timezone and it opens to a blank graph until I manually move it to the visible graph....but I'll take what I can get.

Just wanted report this hack for anyone having a similar issue.

Aloha

mcsarge

It shows blank because it thinks there is no data for today - the data it thinks it has is from 1 day ago - you have to move the window "back" to yesterday - which for you is today.

This should really be fixed on the site - I am sure it is a simple change.

Matt
Off Grid Island in Ontario Canada (Beaverstone Bay)
Primary: Classic 150 + wbjr; 3s2p HES 270watt
Winter: SolarBoost 50 MPPT (into wbjr); 2 x Sharp NE-80EJEA 80watt
Pack: 4s2p ROLLS S6-460AGM 6V for 24V pack
Inverter/Charger: Trace DR2424
Call Sign: KG4EUF

jacobtuft

Hi Mcsarge,

What you said made total sense when I read it.  But then I went to the site to see, and the data it thinks it has is actually from tomorrow!  i.e  right now at 6:38AM on July30, its showing data from 6:35AM on July 31.  But I'm just happy I can see it at this hour!

-Jacob

mcsarge

One day back, one day forward, whatever works! haha - it needs to be fixed, I am sure it something simple in the code. I know that the posting of the data is very secure, so they just can't allow it to be posted any old place, but there are other solutions. We have put together a pretty cool system that gets the data from the Midnite Solar controller and posts it to a Mosquitto service and then you can use an app (on Andriod) or other ways to see what is happening. Check out the threads about in the open source part of the forum...

Matt
Off Grid Island in Ontario Canada (Beaverstone Bay)
Primary: Classic 150 + wbjr; 3s2p HES 270watt
Winter: SolarBoost 50 MPPT (into wbjr); 2 x Sharp NE-80EJEA 80watt
Pack: 4s2p ROLLS S6-460AGM 6V for 24V pack
Inverter/Charger: Trace DR2424
Call Sign: KG4EUF

jacobtuft

Thanks Matt,

I would love to get into something custom like that...so I could save the data...display it on my iphone in the way I want, and be able to customize my graphs, etc.  I'm sure I "could" figure out all this stuff, but don't have nearly enough time....given other priorities like building my house, running several business, and an occasional day at the beach.  For now this will more than suffice....but I'm stoked guys like you are really learning to work with the nuts and bolts of the system to get what you want.

Aloha,

-Jacob

JakeOJ

*probably related* - two days ago my Midnite Classic started resetting to zero at around 3:00pm. This is an hour off of GMT, but might be the network reset gone haywire.  unit has been reporting fairly reliably for the past year... this is just two days ago.  I'm 2.5 hours away from my unit, so will be a couple weeks before I can get there for a full reset.  I should also mention 'fairly reliably' because every few days it flakes out around noon - 1:00pm and I lose all reporting until the network reset near midnight...  There I'm able to capture at least the day's full solar production before it resets to zero for the next day.
I'm fully off-grid and powering a 1700 sf house - and learning what my 3kw set of panels will deliver during different times of the year.  Certainly plan to expand (December - January are horrible!).

boB

Quote from: JakeOJ on August 18, 2020, 01:46:25 AM
*probably related* - two days ago my Midnite Classic started resetting to zero at around 3:00pm. This is an hour off of GMT, but might be the network reset gone haywire.  unit has been reporting fairly reliably for the past year... this is just two days ago.  I'm 2.5 hours away from my unit, so will be a couple weeks before I can get there for a full reset.  I should also mention 'fairly reliably' because every few days it flakes out around noon - 1:00pm and I lose all reporting until the network reset near midnight...  There I'm able to capture at least the day's full solar production before it resets to zero for the next day.
I'm fully off-grid and powering a 1700 sf house - and learning what my 3kw set of panels will deliver during different times of the year.  Certainly plan to expand (December - January are horrible!).

Interesting !   How new or old is the firmware ??    There was a software fix quite a while ago now that helped reduce the need for the auto-reset tremendously, If not totally.

I am glad we left that in though just for situations like this where you can't get to it easily.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me