Local App fibs "BAT: Sensor Not Installed"

Started by rwsaustin, July 12, 2020, 06:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwsaustin

I have a battery temperature sensor installed, but the Local App stubbornly denies its existence. I have lithium batteries, so I don't want temperature compensation. In the Local App, if I uncheck temperature compensation, for battery temperature, the Status panel says
BAT: Sensor Not Installed
If I check temperature compensation, but set the compensation to zero, again I get
BAT: Sensor Not Installed
So if I don't want temperature compensation but DO want to display the battery temperature, the only way seems to be to set the compensation to the minimum absolute value (-0.5mV/C) and the window to the minimum of 10C and check the Compensate Equalize Voltage Checkbox. Is there some other way to get the App to display battery temperature but do nothing with it?

I have equalize time set to zero. What will this temperature compensation profile do as a function of temperature?

Robert

boB

First, EQ is by default, temp-comp OFF.

When you set the temp-comp to zero mV, what does the TEMP display on the Classic's MNGP display say ?
Does it also say NA  (not available) ?    I can't remember off hand what it does in that case but yes, you should be able to view the temperature I suppose.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

This talks about lithium batteries and the temp sensor - from Midnite Knowledge base -see link below for more info than quoted  here. 

"The Classic now has a few new features that can be of use for Lithium Battery Systems.
Lithium batteries generally do not require temperature compensation like Lead-acid batteries do. Setting the mV/degC/cell to the lowest value without flipping the setting to DISABLE is about all we can do right now. This allows the BTS (Battery Temp Sensor) to function and this allows us to set an emergency HIGH BATTERY SHUTDOWN temperature in the LIMITS MENU under the CHARGE Menu in the Classic. When this temperature is sensed the Classic will stop charging to avoid a catastrophe."
http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=75

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Yes, but also, Lithium batteries have to stop charging when their temperature drops below some point as well.

Guess we have to eventually add that to the over-temp function as well.   Of course, the BMS could also disconnect when its temperature is out of range.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on July 12, 2020, 11:10:35 PM

Yes, but also, Lithium batteries have to stop charging when their temperature drops below some point as well.

Guess we have to eventually add that to the over-temp function as well.   Of course, the BMS could also disconnect when its temperature is out of range.

Yes that over and under temperature feature would be a great and very useful addition for lithium batteries.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

australsolarier

as excellent the midnite classic is. unfortunately not much work has done for them to work with lithium batteries. even american die hard lead acid fans are now turning to lithium batteries as they are getting cheaper and more available.

boB

Quote from: australsolarier on July 23, 2020, 06:11:24 PM
as excellent the midnite classic is. unfortunately not much work has done for them to work with lithium batteries. even american die hard lead acid fans are now turning to lithium batteries as they are getting cheaper and more available.

The Classic works fine with most Lithium batteries as far as I know. I haven't heard of any that it doesn't work with ?   

Lithium batteries have a BMS that makes them compatible with almost any controller.

Typically for a Lithium battery system, the Absorb time is set to a very low setting, like 1 minute or around there.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

australsolarier

yes Bob, the midnite classic works with lithium batteries. maybe my wording can be interpreted that they do not.

"typically 1 minute setting for absorb time"  : absolutely not! emphatically not. the float change is regulated by end amp and bulk V. (end amp is like 8A for an 400ah battery) it will hang around in absorption at least for 20 minutes for sure. depending how much net solar comes in. when it hits the bulk V, the current can still be very high, like 60 or more amps. as a matter of fact it can hit absorb as low as 75% with 120 amps or so. so that absorption timer will switch to float with  75% SOC . like many times stated in this forum the voltage of lithium, particularly lifepo4 are very stiff, unlike that of lead acid's which are heaps more elastic. 0.1V can make a giant different in a 48V system.

this is what i meant when i wrote "not much work has been done with lithium batteries.
my system absorb time is set to 1h. and i only set it that low, because so once or twice a year the follow me mode does not work with one of the midnites and then it keeps on cycling between float and bulk. unfortunately i am not always there to watch the status panel. so this is an added redundancy.

boB

Quote from: australsolarier on July 23, 2020, 09:34:23 PM
yes Bob, the midnite classic works with lithium batteries. maybe my wording can be interpreted that they do not.

"typically 1 minute setting for absorb time"  : absolutely not! emphatically not. the float change is regulated by end amp and bulk V. (end amp is like 8A for an 400ah battery) it will hang around in absorption at least for 20 minutes for sure. depending how much net solar comes in. when it hits the bulk V, the current can still be very high, like 60 or more amps. as a matter of fact it can hit absorb as low as 75% with 120 amps or so. so that absorption timer will switch to float with  75% SOC . like many times stated in this forum the voltage of lithium, particularly lifepo4 are very stiff, unlike that of lead acid's which are heaps more elastic. 0.1V can make a giant different in a 48V system.

this is what i meant when i wrote "not much work has been done with lithium batteries.
my system absorb time is set to 1h. and i only set it that low, because so once or twice a year the follow me mode does not work with one of the midnites and then it keeps on cycling between float and bulk. unfortunately i am not always there to watch the status panel. so this is an added redundancy.

There has been requirements for low amount of time or no time in Absorb (Bulk V). It has been many years since so thanks for the enlightenment.

The Classic's Aux 2 used as an input to turn it off from a logic signal was originally added from a request from a Lithium battery BMS manufacturer.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me