Midnite Classic 150 Charge Controller

Started by Jrosado99, August 05, 2020, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

Hi Jrosado..,

You could try to find some 60 Cell PVs,   and perhaps make series strings of two of your existing LGs and one of the new ones.   This would reduce your string voltage a bit,   and perhaps make a slight improvement in the efficiency of the Classic.

In general,  the current that each of these new strings would be limited to the current of the PV with the lowest Imp.   If there was a significant difference in the Imp specs,   this would cause the PVs with the highest rated Imp to be more lightly loaded,  and result in the Vmp of those PVs to increase somewhat   ...   gets a bit complicated,   and is probably not worth trying too hard to play that game.

The standard rules of thumb for adding PVs in parallel with existing PVs is,  that ideally the STC Vmps should ideally be within 5%,  and not more than 10% different,  maximum.   And for adding PVs in series in with other PVs in a string,  that ideally the STC Imps be within 5%,  and not different by more than 10% maximum.   So if you could find some 340 - 380-ish watt PVs,   you can compare the STC Imps if you were adding those in series in strings with the LGs,  or compare the STC Vmps if you were adding the new PVs in parallel.

Since you are trying to combat Shading issues,  my may be thinking of placing the new PVs in a somewhat different location.   In this case,   the exact matching of Vmps may not be quite as critical,   compared to a situation where you were just looking to have more power at an existing array location ...   and so on.

Enough for now,   good luck in finding some more PVs that are close enough for your needs.  Please let us know how you are doing,   thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Jrosado99

Thanks Vic,
Yes, i have work to do. I will be updating