classic 150 transition from solar to wind

Started by sirmoiu, August 25, 2020, 12:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirmoiu

Hi
I now using my classic 150 for wind, the problem that i am having is that i only getting around 35 watts, i am getting anywhere from 51 to 95 volts and not getting above 35 watts, i did not factor reset the classic before switching to wind could that be the problem, i am using the graphs on the classic 150, i need some help. Thanks.

boB

Welcome !   

There will be quite a few questions at the start that may help us here.

What kind of wind turbine are you using ?   What is your battery voltage ?

How much wind do you actually have where you are and how high up is your turbine and especially how far above nearby trees and roofs, if any ?

And do you have any idea on what the wind curve should be for your particular turbine ?   If not, then there may be a lot of tweaking and guessing to do to get it right.

We will start with those few questions.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

sirmoiu

Hi
i am using 800 watt Chinese type turbine,
my battery voltage is 48 volts

summer months anywhere from 5 to 20 mph and winter months up to 30 mph.
my turbine is 30 ft up and about 5 ft above the nearest tree and roof.
no i really don't know, i have tried the 48 volts ones on my classic 150.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: sirmoiu on August 25, 2020, 01:18:44 PM
Hi
i am using 800 watt Chinese type turbine,
my battery voltage is 48 volts

summer months anywhere from 5 to 20 mph and winter months up to 30 mph.
my turbine is 30 ft up and about 5 ft above the nearest tree and roof.
no i really don't know, i have tried the 48 volts ones on my classic 150.

The wind power talk I went to said you should put a wind generator up 30 feet higher than anything within 500 feet .  That is because of turbulence caused by close objects.
And what I learned is that to get the most power the higher the better - in that you will get 4 times the power at 80 feet than 30 feet because a slight increase in wind speed makes big difference in output.
The other thing that I learned is that wind generators don't start making power until about 8 or 10 mph wind .  And also there is a relationship to how much power you will get from your wind generator depending on  how large the prop is. 
Is  your wind generator like this one ?
https://usa.banggood.com/800W-Peak-6-Blades-12V24V48V-Horizontal-Wind-Turbine-Generator-Residential-Home-p-1289825.html?rmmds=search&ID=517271&cur_warehouse=USA
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ralph day

And the mppt curve that the 150 follows.  My 250 came with a selection of curves, one being for the Bergey turbine I have...so no experience except selecting the Bergey curve.  Does the OP need to select some generic curve?  Make a guess at selection?  Program a custom curve?  Does that all depend on the specs of the wind turbine?

boB

If the turbine is wound for 48V battery without MPPT (directly connected to the battery and regulated using a dump load) then you might want to try a curve that stays closer to the battery for a lot of its power or current output time.   Then, as the wind speed rises and the power rises, the voltage can rise some. 

The hard question to answer is, what should those input voltages be ?   That will take some time to find out the best curve.

Another real hard part is that you won't know and wind speed NEVER stays still long enough for you to adjust the curve for it, manually.  That is why a wind-tunnel is necessary to really do it right but after some time and playing, you can get the curve better.  But not without wind.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

sirmoiu

Hello ClassicCrazy, boB,ralph,
yes it like the one in the photo, i am not allowed to go any higher,
my turbine can be used for 12, 24, or 48 volts,
the turbine is 3 phase a/c, i have it connected thru a rectifier  to make it DC,