Newbie with questions

Started by Twolf3820, August 31, 2020, 01:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twolf3820

I am a newbie to utilizing the functions of the Classic Midnite Solar charge controller. First hzving issues connecting the CC to my LAN thru a Netgear access POINT? Is a cross over ethernet cable needed? Will the CC be able to supply a user name and password? Or how does it access the network?  Next, my CC is on old software, about 5 years old, can I update it thru the midnite ethernet connection once I get that working?

boB

Hi Twolf.

Sounds like you are connecting the Classic up correctly.

The Classic can have two Ethernet connections....   One is MODBUS  (protocol) over TCP/IP  and the other is to call into our server, My Midnite...

For the MODBUS part, you can supply your own software or you can download our "Local App" software which should find the Classic if it is on your local LAN.

To get the Local App to work outside, you will have to port forward port 502  (typically).

There is a NETWORK  menu where you can choose DHCP addressing.  I would start with that first and see if the Local App finds the Classic from a laptop of some other computer on your LAN.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

you update Classic firmware via usb cable directly to Classic.
Go to the Midnite webpage under software to find firmware and directions.
there are also videos available on how to do it - though there is newer update software that took care of most of the problems associated with update software of the past . So just use what is provided on Midnite website.
After firmware up date you will want to use Midnite Local Status app on your computer . It should find the Classic on your network once you plug Classic in . Again there are instructions and videos available online.
No to crossover cables - only use regular cables.
The Local Status app will give you control to all your Classic settings.
With that being said there are a couple Classic models without ethernet connections I believe and you didn't say which model Classic you have.
6 part  youtube guide to using Local Status app here
https://youtu.be/4o2LQVeH3jA

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Twolf3820

Sorry, I have a Midnite Classic 150, with 2 strings of 4 Trojan L16 batteries. An outback inverter with  Mate2 and a 14KW backup generator all being powered by a 2.8KW follow the sun Watsun tracker.

Twolf3820

also forgot to ask, when you turn off the charge controller, is the system dead or just the CC? Can the software update be done when it is restong?

Vic

The Firmware Update uses the USB port of your Classic,  connected to your computer,  generally.

The Classic is an active participant in the FW Update process.   The Classic battery breaker will need to be used to shut down the Classic,   and awaken it,   as dictated in the software instructions,  on your computer screen.

When the Classic battery breaker is switched off,   the Classic does nothing,   but the rest of your --  the inverter should still run,  taking all of the load power from your batteries,   If this answers the question.

And,  welcome to the Forum.    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mike90045

I have treated my classic as a computer device, and it's Ethernet cable goes to a outlet port on a wireless router.
I then use my laptop WiFi to connect to the same router an voila the classic and laptop are on the same network but 400 feet apart.
I'm not sure an access point has the capability to be the Host with it's solo Ethernet port
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV