Breaker not powering off controller

Started by schroew, September 08, 2020, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schroew

I recently tried to power off a couple of my controllers that I have on MNEPV-60 breakers on the DC battery connection side and a couple of them stayed on despite turning the breaker off. Are these breakers dead? Should I replace them? They have been installed since last November.

Vic

Hi schroew,

Do not know just what CC you are using.  It is best,  to power OFF the PV breaker,  before opening the battery breaker,  when powering the CC off.    And power ON the battery breaker,    and then,  switch the PV breaker to ON,   when powering up the CC>

Some CCs,   (like the Classic,  IIRC),   will power itself from the PV input,  when the battery breaker is off, (or the battery is very dead)   and the PV breaker is on.

Is it possible what is happening in your situation ?

Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

KyleM

Quote from: Vic on September 08, 2020, 08:03:29 PM
It is best,  to power OFF the PV breaker,  before opening the battery breaker,  when powering the CC off.    And power ON the battery breaker,    and then,  switch the PV breaker to ON,   when powering up the CC>

Words to live by Thanks Vic

boB

Yes, Vic is right I think here.

However, at some point, the charge controller SHOULD do a sweep or check or something and it would turn off after a while I would expect.

The Classic will do that.   Maybe some CCs don't do that and think it is light for 24 hours per day ?  I suppose it could do that above the Arctic circle.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

schroew

Sorry, the controllers are all classic 150s. I will take your advice on the power down sequence and see if that changes anything. I get nervous poking at this stuff as its my only source of power.

schroew

The batteries were not dead and it was the middle of a very sunny day so its totally feasible that the CC was running off the PV array. It wierded me out that that the behavior was different.