News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Solar Panel Ice

Started by Slim, November 24, 2010, 12:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

What can be done about ice buildup on a PV array?  Is it true that it is harmful to the array and will void the warranty?

Thanks.

Robin

Sounds like we need to get the snow melting feature finished.
Robin Gudgel

boB

Quote from: Robin on November 24, 2010, 04:20:13 PM
Sounds like we need to get the snow melting feature finished.

You mean, like this ?

http://bob.gudgel.org/PVsnowMelt3.gif

The right side module is not hooked up for snow melting here.

Energy consumed was about 1 kWh but could have been less if the PV was on a pole and not stuck into the snow as it was here.

It works best if the temperature is not "TOO" cold so the temperature rise is enough for the power being applied.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Hilltop

excellent time lapse, the right as a control makes an impressive presentation!  I'm putting the pushbroom with duct tape extensions in the inactive pile.  Thanks.

niel

boB,
so what was the time from start to finish? i that is important for people to know.

boB

Quote from: niel on November 30, 2010, 06:34:25 PM
boB,
so what was the time from start to finish? i that is important for people to know.

That one was quite long... About 3 hours.  Part of that is because I had the modules
sitting "IN" the snow !  Robin pointed out (rightly so) that it would work much better
on poles or raised.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

niel

Quote from: boB on November 30, 2010, 07:26:01 PM
Quote from: niel on November 30, 2010, 06:34:25 PM
boB,

That one was quite long... About 3 hours.  Part of that is because I had the modules
sitting "IN" the snow !  Robin pointed out (rightly so) that it would work much better
on poles or raised.

boB

i agree that on the ground was a bad idea unless it's a demonstration for rvers that have their pvs remotely mounted on the ground. it might be better just to get a small area of the pv heated enough to expose it and let the sun do the rest. that will help to conserve your power, but still speed things up for the meltdown.

Westbranch

was there any ice under the snow? 

I cleaned my panels on Saturday when I noticed in full sun there was less than expected Volts,  cleaned off the 2 " of snow to find 1/2 of the panels had 1 inch of lumpy ice to remove...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

niel

ice really is a tough thing to melt, but you don't have to melt it all. as soon as the area liquefies near the pv surface, that ice will slide right off if the pv has a bit of a slant. in fact it may slide faster than snow build-up. i know this because i used to work on ice making machines in the mid 70s for a guy that is now in phoenix. yup, i was an ice man.

solarvic

I have been using a window washing squeege mounted on end of 10 foot piece of plastic electrical conduit. My panels are pole mount and it takes the whole 10 foot to get top modules on rack. Thought of a new idea and wondering if anyone thinks it might work. What about using a leaf blower to blow off the snow? I don,t have one or I would try it. I hate to buy one and find it won,t work. Has anyone else tryed it or want too.    8)solarvic 8)
Fronuis inverters and sharp, kyocera, mittsubushi solar panels.

keyturbocars

I've used a leaf blower to remove snow from vehicles at times, but it only works if the snow is the dry (light, fluffy) type.  If it's the heavier wet snow, then it's not very effective.

niel

i know the last post was nearly a month ago, but i think solarvic and keyturbocars may have missed the point here. the classic can send a bit of power up to and be dissipated by the pvs to melt the snow and ice. i guess if it's a heavy snowfall the squeegee or even a broom should get the bulk of it if possible to speed things along, but ice won't be cleared by the broom or squeegee. i don't recommend chipping away at it either even if you could reach it. the melt feature is a really good idea for those times when there is no other good way to get rid of it or one wants to speed up the natural process of the melt.

Westbranch

just thinking a bout this a bit, so what about the diodes that most panels have,  will they not prevent the reverse flow from occurring?
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,

Halfcrazy

I am not any where close to an expert here but my understanding is that the diode only stops revers flow think of 6 or 7 panels in series the current still flows through all the panels.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Westbranch

but to heat the panel up would you not need reverse flow?