Midnite wind turbines

Started by Narrowboat boy, September 17, 2020, 04:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowboat boy

HI all

What happened to Midnite's wind turbines , I see they started to becomes available a couple years ago but now seem to have disappeared at least I am struggling to find any for sale . Have Midnite had a change of heart and stopped development in this direction ?

I only ask as I am in the market for a Micro Turbine and am loving the Classic so much thought their turbines would be great too .

Off grid boater with 6 x 270w Perlight delta black panels , Midnite Classic 150 ,Whizbang Jr /
Victron Phoenix Multiplus 120/12/3000 inverter /charger combo , 5 x Victron 110 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Batteries , Honda 2.2eui back up gennie

ClassicCrazy

They quit selling the wind generators . For awhile they were selling off their stock of them at discount but they might be all gone by now.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Yes, competition from China.   Some things are just best left to China.  They won.

:(

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Narrowboat boy

Quote from: boB on September 17, 2020, 03:44:06 PM

Yes, competition from China.   Some things are just best left to China.  They won.

:(

Yeah as thought , shame as China ones are garbage . there are some real good UK manufactured ones from Marlec and Leading Edge Turbines , particularly interested in LE-300 from Leading Edge more expensive than Chinese but they work properly and have a chance of lasting more than 5 mins and are properly tested and rated  . Thanks for confirming
Off grid boater with 6 x 270w Perlight delta black panels , Midnite Classic 150 ,Whizbang Jr /
Victron Phoenix Multiplus 120/12/3000 inverter /charger combo , 5 x Victron 110 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Batteries , Honda 2.2eui back up gennie

Narrowboat boy

Also what about Wind Kid and kid Clipper ? is that gone as well ? see it is out of stock everywhere , was hoping to use this with new turbine as another classic is a bit over kill for the size of Turbine I am looking at

Cheers

coniferous

Can confirm, The china ones are indeed garbage and they lie about wattage output.

I figured with a Midnite solar and the ability to adjust the curve I'd be able to wring some additional wattage out of them. Nope, not even close.
Offgrid Trailer
1.4 Kw array, 1000AH of AGM batteries in 12v config
3000 watt main inverter, 300 aux inverter
1 Classic 150 - Plans to supplement with wind.

Highflyer

I did purchase a couple Midnite turbines there at the end.  The masts are being build as I write.  I hope to have them flying by the end of the year.  I will then post my results.  I can't wait.  With any luck, Rosie and Barcelona will be close and I will be able to add then to the mix.  Fingers crossed.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

boB

Quote from: coniferous on November 16, 2020, 02:51:06 PM
Can confirm, The china ones are indeed garbage and they lie about wattage output.

I figured with a Midnite solar and the ability to adjust the curve I'd be able to wring some additional wattage out of them. Nope, not even close.

Would be nice if we had a real wind tunnel we could borrow at less than something like $20,0000  per hour !

Then we'd be able to get a good curve.  We (MidNite) worked on a wind tunnel ourselves but it just didn't have enough power except for small amounts of power.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

The Ugly One

I have 5x 24v marine and 15x 12v regular and 15 12v marine turbines for sale that are midnite wind turbines
I take them Ray Rays, and turn them into that Boom Boom Zap Juice.

Robin

Bob nailed it about China. The China turbines are not the same as ours, but we were 4 times the price. I would like to get back to our Army Wind turbine at some point. It was about 500 watts. If we can get the power up to 1000 watts, it would be a viable product. Give us another year to get back to that one though.
The Wind Kid and Clipper had a problem. Th Clipper we designed had a fatal flaw. I cannot remember what it was, but there were conditions where it wouldn't work. Too much time had been given to that product. too bad. The Wind Kid works fine, but you really need a clipper to prevent overvoltage. Once again give us time and maybe we can revisit. We are up to eyeballs in inverter and high voltage charge controller development at the moment.
Robin Gudgel