Changing from L16 Flooded to LiFePO4 Batteries - Wind Question

Started by The Grand Pooh-Bah, September 17, 2020, 10:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Grand Pooh-Bah

I have a current system that is on L16 12v Flooded Batteries and Im going to convert to 12v LiFePO4 batteries.  I'm fine with the solar portion of the conversion.  My dilemma is with the wind side of this equation.

I have a 12v Missouri Wind & Solar PMA (permanent magnetic alternator)  that can produce 1600w in a hurricane. Not likely here in Idaho. I currently use a Flexguard NC25A-12 control that activates a dump load when the batteries reach a set voltage.  Flexguard says not to use their control on LiFePO4 batteries.

Has anyone here connected a PMA to LiFePO4 batteries and if so how did you do it and which controller?

mahendra

No but you need to be careful with voltage rise when charging Lifepo4.

I if recall correctly alternators are made to charge car batteries and not deep cycle because of their higher voltage output.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

LightPower

Quote from: The Grand Pooh-Bah on September 17, 2020, 10:10:52 PM
I have a current system that is on L16 12v Flooded Batteries and Im going to convert to 12v LiFePO4 batteries.  I'm fine with the solar portion of the conversion.  My dilemma is with the wind side of this equation.

I have a 12v Missouri Wind & Solar PMA (permanent magnetic alternator)  that can produce 1600w in a hurricane. Not likely here in Idaho. I currently use a Flexguard NC25A-12 control that activates a dump load when the batteries reach a set voltage.  Flexguard says not to use their control on LiFePO4 batteries.

Has anyone here connected a PMA to LiFePO4 batteries and if so how did you do it and which controller?

I have a 3-phase 12v (AC Wild) 1600watt Freedom PMG 9-Blade Turbine (from Missouri) wired into a Pre-Wired VRD (Voltage reduction) Unit w/a Classic 150- via the Aux 1 port. 
The VRD board was gifted to me from Missouri W&S, due to a Mistake they made on my previous setup (a Skymax 440 controller w/ Diversion, incorrectly wired by them).
According to them, the VRD and the Classic is the ONLY Charge Controller they carry that charges Lithium.
Also, a "Dump-Load" will NOT protect a Classic from Over Voltage and can damage it and nullify your Warranty.
-jDub
x50 FirstSolar 105w 86.2VOC CdTe Solar Panels
x1 Pre-Wired VRD unit w/ a MidNite Classic 150 wired to a  9-Blade 1600watt Freedom PMG Wind Turbine (from Missouri Wind & Solar)
x1 Whiz Bang Jr
x1 2014 Nissan Leaf EV
x1 24v 3kw BatteryEVO LifePO4 170Ah Battery Box w/ BMS
24v Midnite DIY Inverter

Robin

Robin Gudgel