0 (0%)
0 (0%)
3 (75%)
Other
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Urayoan

Hello:
After a few years that I own my Classic, I decided to connect it over the LAN and start using the Midnite Local App to monitor whats going on with my equipment. The app is great!

Since the Local App does not run in my iPhone I start to search in the forum and found the great app created by Graham for Android Devices. After the inspiration and ideas showed by Graham with his source, I decided to make my own version for iOS devices.

If you guys want to try the app, the invitation link is at the end of this post. The beta can be installed using Test Flight https://apps.apple.com/us/app/testflight/id899247664. After having Test Flight installed, please visit the following URL to install the App https://testflight.apple.com/join/YCC4MtdW

At the moment, the app detect my Classic in the same LAN and add the device to the list.  I am int he process of test the app outside my LAN (port forwarding etc), still my router does not want to cooperate with me :)

After the device is detected, select in the list and it should jump to the monitor screen
https://azrockradio.com/wp-content/uploads/midnite/RPReplay_Final1600632831.MP4

Like Graham's app, make sure there's no another local app monitoring the Classic. If there is another application connected, the iOS app will try until the other app disconnect or it gets exhausted trying.

The app, is read only mode. Does not write anything to the Classics.

If want to try a remote monitoring and report me if it works, just click the Add button in the upper right, and add the host (host.no-ip.com for example) or the IP and the port, that in most cases is default 502.

If the manual add does not add to the list, maybe there's no IP to resolve to the address or URL (need to add a message to notify that in the next revision)

In the video, it shows how to add a demo device to at least see the gauges running with random values (thanks to the App Store guidelines and reviews have to add it)

There's a lot of work to do, but i like to think is a good start.

Hope you guys enjoy it and feedback is always welcome.

PD. Many many thanks to boB for the guidance and help!

PD2. Code
And of course, this section is called The Open Source and what is Open Source without the source.

For those who want to play around and help me make this app better, here is the link

https://github.com/urayoanm/Classic-Monitor/tree/master

I am using the following libraries

LMGaugeViewSwift - For the gauges
SwiftLibModbus - Swift modbus wrapper for libmodbus.org
CocoaAsyncSocket - to detect the Classic in the network
Charts - Implemented, not used yet (until we figure it out how to download the logs)

Not an expert sending code to Github, so if runs with issues downloading the code, let me know.

ClassicCrazy

Nice on getting apple app - I don't have one but sure those who do will like it.
Did you see Grahams and Matt's MQTT project too ? It lets raspberry pi connect to Classic and then multiple devices can connect to Pi to get MQTT data and avoid the one network connection at a time .  Just thought I would mention it in case it might be useful in your setup.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Urayoan

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on September 22, 2020, 11:22:08 PM
Nice on getting apple app - I don't have one but sure those who do will like it.
Did you see Grahams and Matt's MQTT project too ? It lets raspberry pi connect to Classic and then multiple devices can connect to Pi to get MQTT data and avoid the one network connection at a time .  Just thought I would mention it in case it might be useful in your setup.

Larry

Thank you Larry.

Yes i saw it and I am interested! I saw there are different configurations with Raspberry Pi and ESP32. Any recommendations? Definitely the app has to have support for that too like Grahams.

ClassicCrazy

One ESP32 option from Graham connects to one of the Classic serial ports and then it makes another wireless modbus network connection just like you would see from Classic.

The other ESP32 option connects to Classic modbus network port and changes data to MQTT publisher  so it can go to a MQTT server site and then one of Grahams android monitor apps can subscribe to that MQTT data and display it . There is no limit to the amount of MQTT devices that can subscribe.  It can publish to either an external internet MQTT or to a local one on a Raspberry Pi.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

HI guys !   This is pretty neat !

I don't use an iPhone but I have Robin's old one.  I need to give  Urayoan the iOs version.  I think it is around 3 years old.

Urayoan  is from Puerto Rico.  One of my favorite places !

boB for now
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Urayoan

Quote from: boB on September 23, 2020, 01:24:43 PM

HI guys !   This is pretty neat !

I don't use an iPhone but I have Robin's old one.  I need to give  Urayoan the iOs version.  I think it is around 3 years old.

Urayoan  is from Puerto Rico.  One of my favorite places !

boB for now

Hey boB! Glad to hear from you. Check it out with the invitation posted here and let me know if you in into issues.

boB

Thanks Urayoan !

Being able to play with iOs applications like yours is exactly why I kept his old phone !

I don't have cell service but I am hoping that the wifi might help.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Urayoan

Quote from: boB on September 23, 2020, 01:37:52 PM

Thanks Urayoan !

Being able to play with iOs applications like yours is exactly why I kept his old phone !

I don't have cell service but I am hoping that the wifi might help.

Yes boB, with Wifi should work fine too. The app right now has support from iOS 10.3 to iOS 14. Let me know because i am in early stage of development, i can go down to iOS 9 if necessary.

Urayoan

And of course, this section is called The Open Source and what is Open Source without the source.

For those who want to play around and help me make this app better, here is the link

https://github.com/urayoanm/Classic-Monitor/tree/master

I am using the following libraries

LMGaugeViewSwift - For the gauges
SwiftLibModbus - Swift modbus wrapper for libmodbus.org
CocoaAsyncSocket - to detect the Classic in the network
Charts - Implemented, not used yet (until we figure it out how to download the logs)

Using Xcode 12 using Swift

Not an expert sending code to Github, so if anyone runs with issues downloading the code, let me know.

Vic

Hi Urayoan,

Thanks for sharing your work.

As you probably know,   a number of members here have been asking for an IOS-oriented montioring App.

Am not quite there yet,   but thanks for all the work that you are putting into this.  Hope to be able to try it fairly soon.

Thanks again,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Urayoan

Quote from: Vic on September 23, 2020, 07:55:03 PM
Hi Urayoan,

As you probably know,   a number of members here have been asking for an IOS-oriented montioring App.

Am not quite there yet,   but thanks for all the work that you are putting into this.  Hope to be able to try it fairly soon.

Thanks again,  Vic

Thank you Vic. Hope the app get to be useful for others too.

If you want to try, just use this link to Test Flight. Is an open invitation to the beta. Feedback is always welcome

https://testflight.apple.com/join/YCC4MtdW

qrper

Quote from: Urayoan on September 23, 2020, 08:07:28 PM
Quote from: Vic on September 23, 2020, 07:55:03 PM
Hi Urayoan,

Thanks again,  Vic

Thank you Vic. Hope the app get to be useful for others too.

If you want to try, just use this link to Test Flight. Is an open invitation to the beta. Feedback is always welcome

https://testflight.apple.com/join/YCC4MtdW

Downloaded the app. Since I've been an apple person since the Apple II way back when I'm really glad to see someone tip their toes in the the world of apps for the Classics

Now... you wanted some comments, and I'll post some here. Perhaps we should move off the forum?

Any way, here goes an in no particular order

First off I was surprised how quickly/easily it found the classic on my network. That's usually a issue. Boom! found it and away we go.

The text on the meters doesn't fit the meters. I have clipping on all the numbers and text.
The meter, my opinion are to small on my iPad. There's plenty of room, so make 'em bigger. (auto sizing for the iPhones? and other devices?)
Last night when I opened the app, it returned 'resting' of the classic, which it was. However, the power meter still was showing 5.8kW, which apparently was the power that I produced that day.

IT seems to update damn near in real time. I like that, a bit jumpy, but more like what a analog meter would do.

Show me 58.5 V instead of 58. I know it a nit I had to pick

Make the text larger for the status, like MPPT and float. I didn't notice them at first.

I'll have to get some photos of the screen and send them to you.

DOn't shoot me! I like what I see so far

mike, wb8vge
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

Urayoan

Hello mike! No problem at all, I did ask for feedback and that's the kind of feedback I am looking for!

I have no problem to make the conversation private, but I feel confortable with open discussion too. The code is available for all who wants to play and if the feedback help others pin and make better the app for all of us, much better.

First of all, what model of iPad are you running? Let me know to check, for sure as you mention, the auto layout is not working as expected.

About the power meter, it not suppress to show anything in the center if there is no power generated. Let me know where the screenshots were send to check em out!

Thank you again for the feedback and time testing!

@ Urayoan

Quote from: qrper on September 27, 2020, 10:39:35 AM
Downloaded the app. Since I've been an apple person since the Apple II way back when I'm really glad to see someone tip their toes in the the world of apps for the Classics

Now... you wanted some comments, and I'll post some here. Perhaps we should move off the forum?

Any way, here goes an in no particular order

First off I was surprised how quickly/easily it found the classic on my network. That's usually a issue. Boom! found it and away we go.

The text on the meters doesn't fit the meters. I have clipping on all the numbers and text.
The meter, my opinion are to small on my iPad. There's plenty of room, so make 'em bigger. (auto sizing for the iPhones? and other devices?)
Last night when I opened the app, it returned 'resting' of the classic, which it was. However, the power meter still was showing 5.8kW, which apparently was the power that I produced that day.

IT seems to update damn near in real time. I like that, a bit jumpy, but more like what a analog meter would do.

Show me 58.5 V instead of 58. I know it a nit I had to pick

Make the text larger for the status, like MPPT and float. I didn't notice them at first.

I'll have to get some photos of the screen and send them to you.

DOn't shoot me! I like what I see so far

mike, wb8vge

qrper

I hope this works.

System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

qrper

Iam running is0 13.7 with a iPad Air 2