From europe, my KID has broken

Started by emulator64, October 10, 2020, 05:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emulator64

Hello,

i registered in the forum in the hope someone can help me, i am from Portugal, sorry for my english. I buyed midnite KIT 6 years ago from Prism Solar. After 6 years working i had to change the solar cables and something wrong happened. The controller stopped working, when I connect the controller, only with the battery connected, it seems ok. When I connect the solar panel cables to input, the controller resets it self and all the leds blink, only to auto reset again before the blue led stays lit and stable. Then after that, even with solar disconnected and all cables off with only the battery connected it follows the same behavior.  I think the board must be fried or something. Or perhaps on of the condensers on the board i dont know. Anyone had this problem? What can I do? I thought it would be better buy another Kid controller, but it seems the price is higher now.

Than you in advance

ClassicCrazy

When you connect the battery and it starts up - or tries to start up - do you see anything at all on the display ?
If you can see the menu , I think there is a factory reset somewhere  - did you try that if possible ?
Also did you check the plug in fuses on it ?
The negative from PV and the negative from battery have to be separate and not connected together anywhere - is it wired that way ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

emulator64

Hello,

Thank you for answering. Yes i can see the menu on the screen working normal.The problem only happens when i connect the solar panel cables.  The solar cables are well connected and returning correct voltage 75v as they are connected in series to retrieve amps.

Didnt try the factory reset, a good idea, but i could not find that option on the menu, how do i get to that menu option?
All the fuses are fine, solar cables are separated from the battery, their connected to the pv input. Only the load as every other connections to power stuff.

ClassicCrazy

I haven't used my Kid in awhile so forget the menus. Maybe I can look tomorrow.
What version of firmware are you running on it ?
There are menu maps located here
https://www.midnitesolar.com/documents.php?productCat_ID=43&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers%20-%20KID&model=MNKID-B&product_ID=530&act=info

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

emulator64

Forget it. Factory Reset didn't solve the problem. Perhaps firmware? My version is older than the current version..

If firmware doesn't work what would be my options?

Thank you for your help.

ClassicCrazy

If firmware update doesn't help you could open up a ticket on the Midnite page and get some advice from the technicians there .
https://www.midnitesolar.com/support.php

Also take a look here http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/index.php  - there is a section on the Kid

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on October 10, 2020, 09:00:17 PM

...   The negative from PV and the negative from battery have to be separate and not connected together anywhere - is it wired that way ?

Larry

Hello emulator.

Welcome to the Forum.

As Larry mentioned,   in the quote,   above.  It is essential,   that the negative wire from the solar panels go directly to the PV negative terminal on the Kid.   Do NOT connect the PV negative wire to the battery negative.

Please check this,   as the Kid will not operate properly,  if the PV negative wire is  connected to the battery negative.

One other question,  is,  are you using any Load,  connected to the Load terminals of the Kid??

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

emulator64

Hello,

Thank you for the support,

Yes, the solar negative is directly connected to the negative PV input, Of course the solar negative will in the end connect to the negative battery afterwards since it is charging the battery. But this is not direct connection since kid is the one who connects to charge the battery.

I had time to inspect the problem again today, the problem only happen when i connect any device to the load input. As soon as i swith a device to on that is connected to the load battery all the leds blinks as it resets again and it loops this behaviour, only when i disconnect the load or switch all devices off, the KID says stable with the blue led of load ON. As soon as i switch a device on (ANY diffrent device) it crashes the way i said.

Im thinking in submit a ticket. Done factory reset, firmware update to no avail.

If i could buy a new board at an affordable price or ebay or something it would easy for me to replace it.

suspect some component on the board is fried. i am attaching a video so you all can see. in the video were you see the KID blinking is every time i swith a device on. If let the device on, it behave that way indefinitly.

Vic

Hi emulator..,

Thanks for  the added  info,  and  video.

As you know,   there  is a  Limit  to the amount  of  current  that can be drawn from   the Load  terminals.   So you need to  be  careful  to not try to  draw   too  much current.

Also,  in the   video,  the  battery voltage  did  not  seem to be very stable  (fairly large  change in battery voltage,   from one moment  to   the next).

It is  not clear  why  you needed to  change the  cables, that   you changed.

What  is  the  AH  Capacity of the  battery connected  to  the Kid?
Did you change the Load that is connected to  the  Load  terminals?
Do  you have circuit breakers that rated for  DC current on the PV input,   and  battery connections to the Kid?

Thanks for more   answers.     VIc
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

emulator64

The devices that i run are taking very low amperage, it doesnt matter even if it takes 1 amp. It always crashes.

What  is  the  AH  Capacity of the  battery connected  to  the Kid?
250 ah

Did you change the Load that is connected to  the  Load  terminals?
No, didnt change anything.

Do  you have circuit breakers that rated for  DC current on the PV input,   and  battery connections to the Kid?
Yes. I have swithches for every connection that are installed between the cables and the KID.
1 - i switch the battery, KID goes ON.
2 - Wait for the Load activation Blue Led to lit up
3 - Everything seems fine.
4 - Turn the button from a device (ANY device) ON
5 - Crash and so on.

Thank you

ClassicCrazy

It almost sounds like you have a problem ( short ? ) in your load wiring.
What is your load wiring ? Does it go to a fuse or distribution box ?
Did you ohm out your load wiring ?
You could try removing you existing load wiring and  then run a new test load directly to the load terminals.
Does the Kid work normally for charging ?
The other option you have is to change your wiring to take your loads directly from your battery and don't use the load terminals on the Kid. You would need to fuse all the loads correctly according to the wiring you use.
That would give you some time to figure out the exact problem.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

emulator64

I dont have any short on the load wiring because all the load comes from the positive and negative load from the KID and if i connect this two cables positive negative load to another controller, all my installation and devices work fine. So it boils down to the KID only.

Vic

Thanks emoulator..,  for the added info on your system.

Am  out  of ideas,  right now.

Thanks again,  Vic

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: emulator64 on October 14, 2020, 04:52:06 PM
I dont have any short on the load wiring because all the load comes from the positive and negative load from the KID and if i connect this two cables positive negative load to another controller, all my installation and devices work fine. So it boils down to the KID only.
?
Yes if the other controller was also a KID then true - but if it is something else it does not help in trouble shooting.
The reason I am suggesting what I did is because that is  how you do trouble shooting by eliminating other possible causes of the problem.
Sometimes there can be one of more things going wrong and they can happen coincidence to something else.
The only way to know for sure is to isolate and test things .

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

emulator64

Thanks all for your help. I thinks in terms of charging its also broken, when i connect the solar cables i hear some clicks on the KID, wish i assume is trying to connect the solar batteries, (KID always made that click when i connected the solar panels and charging started), now it does a couple of clicks one after another and stops charging. I will try this again and send a video. Already submited a ticket also.