Firmware Upgrade has Bricked my 250?

Started by tranders, October 14, 2020, 03:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tranders

After researching for some time, I decided to upgrade the firmware of my Classic 250 in an attempt to remedy the GOT COMM?? message and actually generate electricity once again (it was not just a display issue or meaningless error/warning, for me).

Upon booting the 250 prior to connecting to my PC, the unit booted in an interesting way (lights flashed, fans ran, etc). I came to find out this was the 'normal' boot process because after it did this, no more GOT COMM message and it started displaying V from the array again (although it was night time?). The unit booted properly again and the firmware updates completed. 

Except that the MNGP stayed on an all black screen at the end of its update.  So I powered down the 250 and rebooted only to get the event-less startup (solid red light only, no fans) and GOT COMM?? message on screen.  Tried the VMM as the firmware instructions state.  That got me back to the Quick Start screen which accepts my selections, then hangs on Sending Data screen.

From here on out I only see a solid red and a solid orange LEDs from the 250, solid red from the MNGP.

Well, I'll just do a Factory Reset and be done with it and go from there.  Fail: Placing the jumpers has no impact on the startup process. Straight to Quick Start which eventually hangs Sending Data.  No change to LEDs

Let's try to reflash the firmware:  Software/PC won't recognize the 250 in the state that it boots into, so no option here. 

I am hoping to reboot periodically and catch it in a 'proper' boot up cycle.  That's my only hope at this point.

Am I bricked?

mike90045

You have to flash BOTH the controller and the Graphic display.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

tranders

Thanks mike90045.  I did get both updated (originally), except that the display stayed on an all black screen at the end of its update.  The PC did present a success message though -- I have a feeling there is something to be said about this series of events...

tranders

I do have a Support ticket open, fyi.  Should hear from them tomorrow, I'm thinking.  Not used to having actual, reachable Support in the world   :D

ClassicCrazy

Was it really old firmware you are updating from ?
Seems like long time ago I had issue with that sending data screen. I think I had to do the jumper VMM and maybe reflash it again ?
You say that the classic is not showing up when you plug it in to computer - you may have to check Device manager or a Com port tool to see if Com 8 is still assigned to the Classic Firmware update tool. 
I think the old updater tool had lots of problems but the new update tool is so much better.
Are you using Windows 10 and the new updater tool ?
I will look for my old post on the forums here to see if I can find out how I fixed com port issue.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

This explains the ports issue and how to fix it . The  last post is a tool I found to check ports out.
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=2305.0

This explains the hard reset - which I think you said you did .
http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=34

Also lots more info on Classics here
http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?cid=1

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

The “send data” hang has been seen before but I can not locate a solution to it. Just found multiple references to it occurring. And one from boB asking for more information from those who have seen it. It appears that if changes where made in some parts of the firmware and both the MNGP and the Classic firmware are not update together and the VMM done immediately after completing both updates on the first reboot and not in between the two update that this issue may occur. It also been said that you should update the MNGP firmware first. Not sure if that is the way the instruction read. I haven’t done any updates in a couple of years since there hasn’t been any new firmware for a long time. Note the MNGP and the Classic do not have the same firmware version numbers.

Window 7 was problematic for firmware updates with the old updates software. Win 10 with the new updater software is great if the Win 10 update instructions are followed step by step and in the exact sequence.

Not sure what the OP is using to do the updates. Sort of sounds like he is using the new Updater but not sure if he is using Win10. That information would be helpful.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

tranders

Thanks for all the replies.

Win10 with the new updater is what I am using.

I believe the existing firmware was pretty old (5 yrs-ish, if that is old).  On original firmware, it did not allow me to turn Solar on/off without turning all other modes the same, which I thought was strange.

I did the Classic first then the MNGP per the instructions.  I did not see any suggestions otherwise until now (per Resthome). 

The jumpers have no impact on startup at this point, which is pretty disconcerting.

Can I communicate with the Classic via Ethernet and some other software at all?  Just curious. I have not explored the Local Application yet.

Attached is the screen prior to the firmware update, fyi.

ClassicCrazy

Use the program I linked above that shows the status of all the com ports .
I don't know about the new updater program - it used to need to use com 8 and if something got messed up in the computer then you would get what you describe where classic and computer don't know each other are there and no way to do another update. So you need to check that first.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

tranders

Unfortunately there are no entries for the Classic or anything from MidNite Solar listed by the USB Software, whether connected to the Classic or not.

-Troy

KyleM

Quote from: tranders on October 15, 2020, 04:13:44 PM
Unfortunately there are no entries for the Classic or anything from MidNite Solar listed by the USB Software, whether connected to the Classic or not.

-Troy

The Classic will appear as a standard Communication Port.
The newer versions of the updater no longer needs it to be attached to Com 8 so it can be on any port.

The fact that you were able to even start the update process means it is connected and working.
The sad news is that you will need to keep trying until it works, try a different FW version, or send it in to us so we can wipe out the entire operating system and reload it.

-Kyle

tranders

Thanks again for all the assistance.  Not being recognized on my router either, fyi.  Thought maybe I could get some settings into it via the Local Application.

Sending it in would be the only option at this point as it is essentially unresponsive.  Thank you for that suggestion.  I will try to call Support tomorrow.

-Troy

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: tranders on October 15, 2020, 10:14:39 PM
Thanks again for all the assistance.  Not being recognized on my router either, fyi.  Thought maybe I could get some settings into it via the Local Application.

Sending it in would be the only option at this point as it is essentially unresponsive.  Thank you for that suggestion.  I will try to call Support tomorrow.

-Troy

If you haven't done it yet -  try a different usb port on your computer . That has solved problems for me in the past with when things don't show up on usb.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

Looking at the picture (above) you posted about your Classic before the firmware update looks like the Classic itself could not determine the version of firmware on the Classic. The entry for the Classic firmware version is showing blank. The Classic and the MNGP must communicate with each other. I’m not sure but it looked like that was not happening. Are you sure the cable between the MNGP and the Classic are good and plugged into the Classic top port. You might want to check that blue cable inside the Classic and the jack for possible corrosion especially if you are in a humid climate. If you go to that same screen now what does it show?

Support should be able to get you going. You might tell them about what was displayed on the MNGP before you tried the updates and that the line for the Classic is blank and reporting no communication.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

boB

Windows 7 and 10 along with our updater has been working very well as far as I know.  Until now   :)

I do know that MY version of the updater was touch and go until our IT guy took on the updater and made it work MUCH better than it was years ago.

BUT, I have personally been having LOTS of issues with Windows 10 lately.  It just does not like me and crashes a lot.  I really wish  Microsoft would get it to work and just leave it alone OR let me discontinue updates after I find one that works.

Maybe it's windows or maybe it is something else though.  Really hard to say.  Any software person that knows USB is retired or dead I fear.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me