Birdhouse-1 and system -- what have I done wrong?

Started by Trukinbear, October 24, 2020, 08:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trukinbear

Ok, we've got the Birdhouse-1 mounted to the exterior wall, provided with 120VAC and a CAT5E-600 CMU/CMX cable that connects to the MNBDM battery disconnect module in the inverter's e-panel, 4 new 9V Ni-Mh batteries, and a CR1216 coin battery - the shipping jumper is in the operate position. The MNBDM is connected to 48VDC, but while I await confirmation or some clarity about the leads from the 250A main DC breaker it is not attached (yet). From the MNBDM runs another CAT5E-600 CMU/CMX cable to the MNSOBPSB in my MNSOB3R-4P (configured to only break my positives) which is wired to the shutoff switch, and to the DC from the PV (attached after the switch).

I've got the two green LEDs illuminated on the Birdhouse-1, Solar On, and AC On. If I depress the big red button, nothing happens...then about a minute later it tells me that the solar was not switched off. I verify the solar was not switched off, switch it off then back on then depress the big red button on the Birdhouse-1 for 5 seconds to cancel the audio warning. If I disconnect the CAT5 at the MNBDM that comes in from the Birdhouse-1 I get a warning from the Birdhouse that shutdown has been initiated, but if I disconnect the CAT5 cable to the MNSOB's PSU at either the MNBDM or the PSU end, nothing happens. Nothing shuts down either way. What is this telling me, I've done the ends wrong on the CAT5 to the MNSOB, or is it just because the MNBDM isn't connected to the breaker trip?

Thanks,
Bear
SMA Solar Sunny Island SI6048
JA Solar 330W 72 cell panels (18)
Classic 250 (2)
MODBUS/Canbus comm adaptor for Sunny Island
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i
Onan Quiet Diesel QD-8000
Monterey 986Ah 'Big Sur' 24-125-11 48V battery
Off the grid on the PNW coast

Trukinbear

More weirdness. Last night when the sun went down all the LEDs went off on the Birdhouse-1. This morning it started announcing that the system had not been successfully shut down, and had the green (solar on, AC on) LEDs illuminated. Pushed the red button for 5 seconds to cancel the voice warning. At no time has it shut down the SOB.
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

Trukinbear

T568A at one end T568B at the other - I need to totally cover up the one I'm not supposed to be using.
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

FNG

Do you have any combiners with the MNPSB in them? If not you need the MNFAUXCABLE in the birdhouse

Trukinbear

Yes, thank you - I do have the MNSOB3R-4P I bought from MNSurplus, and the MNPSB (and MNBDM) that you dropped shipped to me last week. My problem was as I suspected, one of the ends on my MNCAT5E-600 was installed improperly (by me). By the 4th one I had it down pat, but my 1st one was to the wrong standard. It is working as I expect now, thank you for your assistance (again).
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

FNG

Escellent, It is always a good day when things work as hoped.

Trukinbear

Is there a way to make them not talk at night? I thought my mother was going crazy as she kept telling me she heard voices. I dismissed it until she said - you know those two little green lights (on the birdhouse), often after hearing the voices there will be a yellow and a green light instead, and then the next time it seems the two green lights were back. So I sat out in a lawn chair for a while after dark. Seldom have I ever seen the yellow light, usually it is green all night long, but it seems it changes yellow a couple of times per night for not very long. It makes an announcement 'the solar system has been shut down,' and 'the solar system has been switched on' at quite a loud volume for my quiet little box canyon. I'm sure it is only a matter of time before my neighbors track it back to me - is there a way to stop these announcements? If I disconnect the speaker does it view that as a technical error and shut my system down, or does it just shut up?
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

boB

I'm pretty sure you can shut it off completely by holding the red button in for 5 seconds.  I remember doing that.

But the "solar system"  must be off for that to work as I remember.  I would question why it is telling you that the solar system has been shut off at all.

Maybe the red button was pressed and the bird-house near the PV array is actually off ? 

OR maybe there is an issue with the cable from bird house to the disconnect box.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Trukinbear

Nobody is pushing the button. Holding the button in to silence only works with that one alert, a new alert will still alert you. I sat there and watched it (in the dark), the Solar ON light went out, and the Solar OFF light went on... then about 20 minutes it did the reverse. I did note that when we did the full test just before swapping out the inverter that although it shut down everything as I expected, the Solar ON light stayed illuminated. Do I have a crossed wire somewhere, or out of order on my cable ends? The Cat5e-600 cable goes from the Birdhouse, to the MNBDM in my E-panel, then another Cat5e-600 goes from the MNBDM to the MNPSB in my MNSOB.
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

boB

Well, that is a strange issue ya got there !  I'm afraid someone that is a bit more knowledgeable and wise about such things will have to think about it.

I'm somewhat familiar with the bird house but not that up on why it would be doing what you say it is doing.

Will try to ask the right person.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Trukinbear

Now it is doing it during the day! It will say it's been shut off, and the yellow light lights up but there is still full power coming from the array(s).
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

FNG

That sounds like a bad connection some where but I also wonder with connectors reversed if voltage could have been fed some where bad. I would call in or email tech support for assistance on this one

Trukinbear

It would be nice to know exactly which wires are actually being used. That way I won't have to stress over the order of all 8.  Is there a way to turn it off or remove from the system without it freeking out and doing what it does and shutting my system down?
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

FNG

All 8 wires are used, Some for dc voltage some for failsafe loops etc.

Yes you can disable it, you need to remove the red and black wires from the PSB in each combiner/dltl/sob and remove the two wires feeding the large remote trip breakers from each BDM then you can remove the birdhouse

Trukinbear

My neighbors are just short of showing up with pitchforks - I had to spend almost $11k to make my generator quiet enough for these folks and this stupid thing is talking all night long! My valley is very quiet I've taken a walk and have heard my Birdhouse talk at over 1/4 mile away and ALL my neighbors are within that 1/4 mile.

IF I CUT THE SPEAKER WIRES WILL THIS BIRDHOUSE REGISTER A MALFUNCTION, OR JUST SHUT THE F UP?
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i