Can my Classics be responsible for this? Help!

Started by Trukinbear, November 09, 2020, 12:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike90045

Quote from: FNG on November 11, 2020, 01:58:19 PM
They are a standard 4 conductor phone cable.

Telephone 4 wire cable for RJ14  is not the same as 4 pair ethernet using RJ-45
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack#RJ11,_RJ14,_RJ25_wiring

The connectors are the same style, but vary in the width and number of pairs they carry

http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Trukinbear

It is true the current spikes stopped at 6:22 PM when I unplugged the data cable from the Classic to the MODBUS/Canbus adaptor - but it also appears true that they did not return after plugging it back in at 8:30 AM the next day. Several days now, I don't see the current spikes. Thanks guys, just a weird glitch it appears.
SMA Solar Sunny Island SI6048
JA Solar 330W 72 cell panels (18)
Classic 250 (2)
MODBUS/Canbus comm adaptor for Sunny Island
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i
Onan Quiet Diesel QD-8000
Monterey 986Ah 'Big Sur' 24-125-11 48V battery
Off the grid on the PNW coast

Trukinbear

NOPE! I was WRONG! It didn't make the current spikes with the Classics unhooked but does when hooked back to the MODBUS/Canbus adaptor. SMA's solution is to 86 the MODBUS/Canbus and do DC only with the Classics doing their thing by their lonesome. I really didn't spend all this money for this to be the solution. Can you help, please? I went with all this MidNite stuff because it was supposed to work with my Sunny Island!
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

boB

Unfortunately we do not have enough information about SMA's canbus communications protocol and internal software workings to have any good idea why their unit is giving you bogus current information.

What happens if you keep just the Midnite canbus interface connected but turn off the external charge controllers in the SMA Sunny Island menu ?
Do you still get the bogus information ?   No Classics, just the interface as you found.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Trukinbear

Yeah, no that is what led to the SOC issue in the first place. The only thing different between the system that works and this one was the addition of the RSS, which has issues of its own in another thread - could these be related issues?
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

boB

Quote from: Trukinbear on November 21, 2020, 12:25:13 AM
Yeah, no that is what led to the SOC issue in the first place.

I do not understand regarding my question in my previous post.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Trukinbear

Having the external charge controllers connected to the com but not turned on in the Sunny Island is what FUBAR'd the other Sunny Island.
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

Trukinbear

I'm trying several combinations of configs in an effort to find my problem via the process of elimination. Tonight we've un-networked the Classics and are presenting only the primary via the MODBUS/Canbus to the SI.

Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

Trukinbear

Preliminary data suggests the comm errors are related to the (intermittent unused address 11) (previously mirrored display issue) 2nd networked Classic 250 which has acted wonky since around the time the repaired 1st Classic 250 came back online.
I've done the VMM both with the MNGP and the jumpers, neither of which actually reset everything. How do you wipe everything clean for real?
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

boB

Maybe it's the modbus-canbus interface having some kind of issue ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

Quote from: Trukinbear on November 22, 2020, 03:07:26 PM
Preliminary data suggests the comm errors are related to the (intermittent unused address 11) (previously mirrored display issue) 2nd networked Classic 250 which has acted wonky since around the time the repaired 1st Classic 250 came back online.
I've done the VMM both with the MNGP and the jumpers, neither of which actually reset everything. How do you wipe everything clean for real?
The VMM resets all the important registers. Unfortunately that's about the best you can do. One thing you could do is pull all the registers from another classic and import them to this one but I don't see that helping.

If there is a defect with this classic causing loss of coms it wont be related to values in a register. I would suggest emailing or calling support and see what they have to say.

Trukinbear

Ok, I've got two Trouble Tickets in, one for this and one for the (maybe related?) problem with my RSS Birdhouse. Fingers crossed! In the meantime, I've over paneled the one operating Classic as this time of year my panels never exceed 50% of nominal rated power anyway.
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

Trukinbear

The replacement unit has arrived and has been installed in place of this Classic 250 - appears to be working properly and I've yet to record a current spike. Hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it appears to be - yes, my classic can be responsible for this.
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i