12 amps 146 volts and No Power! RFR5

Started by RoyGbiv, November 12, 2020, 11:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyGbiv

The weather changed over here in southern Oregon over the last 2 weeks quite drastically and my current setup has been running great up until this point.
I had 6x 300 watt panels hooked up in series with a Classic 250, feeding a 200 ah 48v battery bank.
There were some grey skies and I was getting RFR #5
I had a few extra panels, and added another 2x 300w panels and created a series/parallel setup putting me at about 150v with a little more than double the amps than the previous configuration.
Multimetered it yesterday and getting plenty of power down the lines, all the way to the Classic 250
The Classic 250 still is either resting, or in Bulk, producing 145v +/- and 0 amps.
I am stumped at this point and now deciding to reach out for help. I ran this same setup all last winter with a cheaper controller and never lost power once. Upgraded this year to the 250 classic.
I feel like it is something very simple I am just not seeing. The temps have dropped quite low lately, as low as 30 degrees at night, but still some nice t shirt weather during the day, and still no amps.
My battery bank is located in a shed in the shade, that does stay a bit cooler than everything else. The only thing i can think of that i came across in the manual is related to HyperVOC. Is something that is constantly on or can be disabled? maybe it is adjusting the voltage out of an operable range?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank You,
Roy

ClassicCrazy

Did you use the Midnite string calculator to see how it looked with your configuration ?
http://www.midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/

It would also be helpful to know what setpoints you have and if you are using a Whizbang and shunt in your system.
So if you could send a screen shot from the string calculator that would help and what your setpoints are.
And assuming you have lead acid batteries ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Are you actually seeing HyperVoc on your MNGP screen ?  Should not see that at 145V input with a Classic 250 of course.

Is the open circuit voltage (Voc) during resting at 145 volt or ?.....

What is the battery voltage reading when the Classic is resting ?  Just making sure it isn't over the regulation voltage that might be keeping that Classic OFF and resting.

Reason for Resting #5 means that there is too low of power for 90 seconds but the Classic should have to come out of resting and into MPPT mode for a while in order to give you that RFR number  (I'm pretty sure)
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

I would give a call or email to support 360-403-7207 or support@midnitesolar.com

That bulk and resting with 0 watts sounds like a failed resistor, I know there was a small batch that got out before Midnite found the issue. Turns out even though a new resistor was specced that had better specs all around it would fail on occasion.

RoyGbiv

Thank you for the response everyone!
Been super busy over here. Have time to focus energy on this situation again today.
I think I misunderstood HyperVOC and do not see anything showing its status as being on.
Included is a picture of the string calculator results.
This all started when I noticed I lost power. Battery voltage was scary low (2 banks of AGM 4x200ah 12v in series with on/off switches to keep them separate or in parallel) and this began the diagnostics. Been running great all year and currently using an out back 3048 inverter to charge with a generator. Doesn't get higher than 58v in bulk and maintains at 51v + when gen is on.
I will also call midnite to check on the resistor thing! Thanks again for the help everyone

boB

Yeah, probably that stupid resistor went open.  If that happens, the PV input voltage will not come down from its open circuit voltage but the display will say MPPT and 0.0 amps for around 90 seconds then go back to resting.  In a few seconds the Classic will try again but the input voltage will not budge.

BTW, just in case you are any good at all with a soldering iron and don't want to wait for a replacement or to get it fixed, this resistor is extremely easy to replace and very easily accessed without having to remove any circuit boards.  Just have to take the top cover off and turn the battery and PV breaker off while soldering a new resistor in place.  It's like 10 Ohms or 20 Ohms and around 1/4 watt or so.

It may also be possible to just short the resistor out for a while until another one can be sent.  OR, if all is just working, just leave it shorted ?

The reason for that is mainly so that charging of small-ish power board FET drive capacitors doesn't temporarily overload the auxiliary power supply and make the processor reset.  If you are able to short this resistor and it just starts working, then it could just be left that way I think.

Just in case you are adventurous or unafraid of simple electronics surgeries.   :)
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

RoyGbiv

I think you're onto something there. It's got to be something with the unit itself. I'm not the most comfortable with soldering resistors, and wouldn't know the first thing about diagnosing or even finding the dang thing. Sounds like fun though and would be willing to learn, but I am short on time. I ended up calling Midnite and told them the scenario. They quickly set me up with an RMA. Amazing customer service! If this happens again, I may attempt the solder myself. Until then I think I'll let the pros take care of it😄
Thanks again for the help!

boB

Quote from: RoyGbiv on November 15, 2020, 07:00:44 AM
I think you're onto something there. It's got to be something with the unit itself. I'm not the most comfortable with soldering resistors, and wouldn't know the first thing about diagnosing or even finding the dang thing. Sounds like fun though and would be willing to learn, but I am short on time.

No, that's fine.  Sometimes there are folks that are really comfortable doing such things but we do NOT expect anyone to do that.

Just thought I'd throw that possibility out there just in case.

Sounds like you are being taken care of.  Thanks for the kind words about our support.  They are pretty special people and we appreciate what they do very much !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

coniferous

"That bulk and resting with 0 watts sounds like a failed resistor, I know there was a small batch that got out before Midnite found the issue. Turns out even though a new resistor was specced that had better specs all around it would fail on occasion."

This is exactly why I go with midnite solar and no other controller.

"Oh, okay, here is the issue - You can fix it yourself if you want"

Try getting that with any other vendor.
Offgrid Trailer
1.4 Kw array, 1000AH of AGM batteries in 12v config
3000 watt main inverter, 300 aux inverter
1 Classic 150 - Plans to supplement with wind.