S/V Ninaa Ootakii - system startup (2x classic 150's @ 24v)

Started by Stone, December 07, 2020, 11:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stone

I finally got a response from interstate, and I'm mentally vapor locked on what to do with the information.

Is there a setup doc for this?
(explain it like I'm five, lol)
Stone - (s/v Ninaa Ootakii)

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s
8x L-16s (24v house bank)
8x GC2s (12v convenience bank)

Vic

Hi Stone,

Thanks for posting the charge data,  from Interstate.

These charge settings are for using an on-Grid battery charger.  This is a bit different than the way that Solar systems charge batteries.

The previous chart did show the Specific Gravity of the electrolyte for full charge  --  1.277.   This is good info,   and will help you interpret the SG readings that you see when you use your quality Hydrometer to measure them.

Would suggest that you DO use the noted Absorb voltage,  Float and EQ voltages,  as listed.   Use the Hydrometer to check on how each cell of each battery is being charger.   Get a notebook and number each battery (number) and cell (letter) with a Sharpie.   Record the charger settings,   date,   SGs amount of Distilled Water added and date,   etc in this book.  This will help you see trends that imply what you might need to change in charge settings  ...

IMO,   the 3% of 20-hour Capacity as the EA value is too high for batteries that are cycled lightly,   as are almost all off-grid,  solar charged batteries.   Would suggest around 1.5% of C20,   as a starting point.

More later.  Keep at it.   Again,   it is good that you are paying attention NOW,   early in the life of this battery bank.   This is when it matters most!    Many battery users only seem to pay some attention to them,   when the "lights have gone OUT".

FWIW,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

Quote from: Stone on February 16, 2021, 01:45:34 AM
I finally got a response from interstate, and I'm mentally vapor locked on what to do with the information.

Is there a setup doc for this?
(explain it like I'm five, lol)

...   AND,  Stone,

The Classic Charge Menu on the Classic display panel,  is where the charge settings are entered.
Most of the charge settings are also available on the Local App,  that runs on a WIndoze computer,  if you are using it.

In the Charge>Volts menu,  you set the Absorb-29.6 Volts (called,  Bulk,  on the Interstate table),  Float-27 V and EQ-32.4 V.
The above voltages are good places to start.  Then,  monitor the SG readings to see how well the battery is being charged,  using your Hydrometer.

In the Charge>ChgTime menu you set the Absorb and EQ times that you desire. See comment, below.
In Charge>T-Comp you set the -5 mV value for the charge voltage Temperature Compensation.

The Absorb time needed,   depends upon how deeply-discharged was the battery in the previous discharge.   This your Flooded batteries this would usually be 1 hour minimum.   Many of our systems usually need two  hours,  or more.   The SG readings will help you know if the time in Absorb is sufficiently long.   It is often better to change Absorb time,   before changing the Absorb voltage when setting up the system,  initially.   Taking some SG measurements during Absorb,   can help you tell if the Absorb time setting it too long.   There is also another way to tell the approximate amount of Absorb time,   will speak more of this,  later.

Does this  (mostly) make sense?    Please do let  us know how you are doing.   Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Stone

Thank you!

So
EQ: 28.6 Absorb 28.6 Float 27.2
Changed to:
EQ: 32.3 Absorb 29.6 Float 27.0

Absorb time is 2:00
EQ time is 1:00

Here's what it looks like right now:

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

Vic

Hi Stone,

Congrats on resetting charge parameters.

Looks like your batteries did not need much of a charge,   given the battery charge current shown on the WbJr display,  and the small number of kWh needed to get into Absorb.  Thanks for those pics of the Classic display..

Do not recall the purpose of this system,   has assumed that it might be off-grid.   But,  perhaps it really is for Grid backup.

Batteries used on backup systems,   often do not need to be charged daily

One way of telling when your batteries are getting to a full-charge,    is to watch the WbJr current change,
when the Classic is in the Absorb stage.   As your Flooded batteries become fully charge this Wb current (Amps)  stops diminishing.   As this current becomes constant,  in Absorb,   you can infer that they are fully-charged.   If you know when the Absorb stage began,   you could use this info to set the ChgTime in the Charge menu.

AND,  watching the above WbJr current,   you could use a value just above that Wb current observed,  as above to set the EA value in the Charge>Advanced>EA.    This is probably best done after you have a few more weeks of experience with the system,   and battery cycling.

As noted previously,   Flooded Deep Cycle batteries generally require 50-100 cycles to break-un.  After this break-in   the battery behavior becomes more repeatable.   You might need to force these discharge cycles,  by placing loads on the system,   at night,   or with the PV input breaker to the Classic,   switched OFF.

What is the purpose of this system?   Thanks for the info.   It does seem that you are getting familiar with the system,   and many of its "knobs".    Later,   Vic

Vic

AND,  Stone,  would you please confirm that,

...   "In Charge>T-Comp you set the -5 mV value for the charge voltage Temperature Compensation"?

This is an important setting.

Thanks,   Vic

Stone

Sorry, my bad.

100% off grid...

80' Schooner that used to be a derelict shipwreck.
Switched over to 100% solar about an hour ago. (current surge is other battery bank chargers, freezer, computer workstation, etc... it'll settle out to about -7a in the next 20 minutes or so)
(pics)

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

Stone

"   ...   "In Charge>T-Comp you set the -5 mV value for the charge voltage Temperature Compensation"?"

I hadn't, but it appears to be the default?
(there also seems to be eleventy billion settings in here)

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

Stone

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

boB

Quote from: Stone on February 22, 2021, 08:44:26 PM
Whoops...

Stone, that is a version of software that I screwed up on   ;)

Please change that 13 degrees C to 25 degrees C  !

OR, in case your batteries use a 30C default, use 30 but that SHOULD have been set to 25 on default !

Sorry...

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Stone

Where do I change it?
(My concern was actually getting the bank below 50%)

Also, I have a large 24v battery charger I would like to connect to the same bank, so I can charge the bank from other sources at night (shore, generator, etc)

Negative to the shunt,
Positive to the bank?
Or something different?

Thanks!

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

boB

Quote from: Stone on February 22, 2021, 10:09:17 PM
Where do I change it?
(My concern was actually getting the bank below 50%)

Also, I have a large 24v battery charger I would like to connect to the same bank, so I can charge the bank from other sources at night (shore, generator, etc)

Negative to the shunt,
Positive to the bank?
Or something different?

Thanks!

In your last picture, I saw 13 degrees.  Change that to 25 degrees if your batteries are referenced to 25C  which most batteries are.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Stone

"In your last picture, I saw 13 degrees.  Change that to 25 degrees if your batteries are referenced to 25C  which most batteries are."

... I have no idea where to change this setting. :(

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

Vic

Hi Stone,

Go to the WbJr display  page,  go to Setup  (IIRC,  it is the upper Right  square button).   Press it once or twice,  you should find the Reference Temp setting.

It is in the WB Manual.   Busy here,  Later,    Vic

boB

Yes, from the main status screen, press the status button until you get to the WB Jr. screen.

Then do what Vic said.  Upper right key we think to get to the reference temperature.

Change that to 25

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me