News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

External Fan on Aux1

Started by labusker, December 10, 2020, 02:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labusker

I would expect to want my fan to come on during high charging which would relate to high charging current. Why is there not a software setting to control this with a current value instead of a voltage value on my Classic 150?
Off Grid DIY, Adjustable Ground Mount, 2S3P 375W Mission Solar, MNPV6-Disc, MNDC125, Classic 150, Aims 48V Inverter/Charger, 8 370Ah Duracell 6V batteries in series

boB

Probably isn't there because there has been no call for that Aux function before ?

Is it a vent fan for flooded lead acid batteries you want to control ?  That is normally controlled by voltage of the battery, which would more than likely happen after charging at high current for a while.   

Might be nice to have an aux function that turns on when a prescribed amount of power or current is happening though.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi labusker,

As boB noted,   the general need for a vent fan when using FLA batteries,   is when the battery voltage approaches and exceeds the battery Gassing Voltage.

During most of the Bulk charge stage,  the battery is not Gassing,   and until this voltage is not reached,
and exceeded,   there is essentially no Gassing,   irrespective of the Charge Rate (current).

SO,   IMO,   the existing Aux Vent Fan selections should meet your fan control needs in dispersing Hydrogen gas,  with an appropriate fan and configuration.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

labusker

The manufacturer states that the higher the charge voltage, the higher the rate of evolution. I presume evolution means gassing. They do not state the actual gassing voltage. So what voltage can be recommended to turn on a vent fan? My 6v batteries float at 6.9v and absorb at 7.35v. Thanks.

Equalize question: If I only discharge my batteries 20-30% every night will an equalization charge ever be needed?
Off Grid DIY, Adjustable Ground Mount, 2S3P 375W Mission Solar, MNPV6-Disc, MNDC125, Classic 150, Aims 48V Inverter/Charger, 8 370Ah Duracell 6V batteries in series

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: labusker on February 26, 2021, 09:06:05 AM
The manufacturer states that the higher the charge voltage, the higher the rate of evolution. I presume evolution means gassing. They do not state the actual gassing voltage. So what voltage can be recommended to turn on a vent fan? My 6v batteries float at 6.9v and absorb at 7.35v. Thanks.

Equalize question: If I only discharge my batteries 20-30% every night will an equalization charge ever be needed?

I think your answer on gassing voltages for batteries was answered by Vic above. He said that not so much in Bulk but much more so in Absorb.

Equalizing is for flooded lead acid batteries to help bring the specific gravity up on any cells that may be lower than the others. You determine this by taking samples of the electrolyte . Though it doesn't hurt to do regular equalize cycle  - but taking the samples can tell if the equalize cycle was long enough to help cure any cells that were low.
The reason particular cells might go low is based on lots of factors but some like imbalanced wiring of parallel strings of batteries can be a larger factor.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

labusker

IS IT TRUE THAT BATTERIES IN SERIES CANNOT EQUALIZE. aLL MY 8 BATTERIES ARE IN SERIES.

ralph day

Not true.  My batteries have always been in series and they eq just fine.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: labusker on February 28, 2021, 08:19:47 AM
IS IT TRUE THAT BATTERIES IN SERIES CANNOT EQUALIZE. aLL MY 8 BATTERIES ARE IN SERIES.

All the cells in a battery are in series so not much different if all the batteries are in series too.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Hi labusker,

YES,   evolution is the evolving of gas  --  Hydrogen and Oxygen.

For a 48 V Flooded battery bank (NOT Lead Calcium),   Gassing voltage would probably begin around 56 V.   So setting the fan operation voltage at this,  or,  slightly lower should serve well,  IMO.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

labusker

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES.