Progress on the Hawkes Bay. High Voltage Hijinks!

Started by Sunshine, June 17, 2021, 04:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine

It was a quiet summer day in Maine and then tech support/applications engineer Jim showed up. It wasn't too long until he and Ryan, of Midnite video fame, got to putting Hawkes Bays to the test. A new array went up and soon 450v was flowing.

Only slightly more time and it was determined that it was time to bring in "The Kid" designer and current creator of the Hawkes Bay, Mario. With a quick flight arrangement he landed 36 hours later. It didn't take long before he was calling for MORE VOLTAGE! So panels were set up on ladders, connections were spliced and an array making over 550 volts.

But this was not enough for Mario, more voltage was needed(but not a WHOLE panels worth). He wanted enough but not too much!

Cold well water pushed the array up to 598v and Mario to yell STOP!

Wires were run and code was tested. Power was made and only one thing went POOF!

Lots of progress was made and all in all, it was a good week. In the end two Hawkes Bays, running together, making power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN0wkOgPZ-s

Vic

Thanks,  Sue for this update.

That wall of CCs looks great !!  Congratulations to all !

Regarding the Barcelons   ...  WOW 200 Amps output,   jaw-dropping.

All of the team sure has made much progress.  Very rewarding to watch,  and see you all getting 'er done.

Fine work!   THANKS,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

I really like the wall of controllers too !

I still think that the Classic covers should come off and screw onto the side of the controllers so that they match all the other controllers there  :D
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

'Tis a wall of Acclaim!

Great to see the proceeds of all of that tireless work that must have gone on,  to get to this point.

Yes,  show the handsome innards of the Classics.   Classics have been an astonishingly rugged,  very reliable controller.  Three of them here,  have been in service ten years,  each.  They just keep plugging away 24/7/365.   This is very impressive for power electronics,  that are worked-hard,  every day.

Great work boB,  and the entire MidNite Team,  for the Classic,  and the new herd of Charge Controllers.   FINE WORK !! 73  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Highflyer

Holy crap, who set off the controller grenade?
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

qrper

Water cooling!

Back in the day, well quite a few decades back in the day, I had some Solarex 2 A panels. These had 2" round cells and here encapsulated into what felt like rubbery silicon. Anyway, during the summer heat all of the Solarex panels would up and quit. Zero power output. The cure was to turn on some water and spray the panels down. Apparently when the backpane expanded, a connection was broken. The water cooled the panel, connections were restored and I got power.

Damn, those were the days!

mike, wb8vge
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.