latest firmware bricked my two classic 150s

Started by jtdiesel65, December 25, 2020, 01:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtdiesel65

Hi,
I tried to update the firmware on my two 150s and I can't get them to work any more. I followed the windows 10 procedure using the latest firmware. I factory reset (tried both methods). I get the sending data hang. I do the key presses to break out of the vmm. Restart and I get got comm.

any ideas?

thx

Vic

Hi jt..,

Will try to begin the conversation.

Could you try to Update one Classic,  again?

Some time back,  one needed to WAIT,  and WAIT for the MNGP Update to really finish.

The GotComm?  usually means that the Classic is trying to communicate with the MNGP.

Follow ALL directions EXACTLY.

More later,   know that this can a bit of a panicky situation.   Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

jtdiesel65

I've retried updating about 10 times. Disconnected follow me cables, ethernet..no difference. I'm assuming the process is done when the windows popup says "finished" and then gives me an "ok" button to push.

The mngps don't communicate and I can't find any documentation on how to trouble shoot this.

The local app can find both of them. One reports "error", the other "resting".  The error one shows 12 volt so it didn't accept the 24 volt first boot config. The "resting" one maybe did.

Vic

What Firmware version shows from the Local App Status screen,  when you go to the "Info" screen?

The "new" updater seemed to get rid of essentially ALL update probs,   so many of us here may not be able to help too much,  I sure am clueless.

Later   Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

jtdiesel65

well, I went through the using jumper method of a reset and before powering off the hardware, I went through the first boot menus. They hung. Then I did the vmm workaround and then the left arrow/bottom arrow to change address to 9. Then I powered off and did a reset via the left arrow right arrow and went throu the first boot options. This time it sent the info to the classic. There is no sun now so I can't say for sure things are all good, but they look better.  I'll knowmore tomorrow . thx for the help.

Vic

Hi jt..,

Sure DO hope that the Classics are ready to do some work,  tomorrow!

Was NO help at all,   but sounds like you may have done the right things that the Classics needed.

That new Updater,  from several years ago has been a large help for most of us.   BUT,  the update issues are so infrequent,  now,   that some of us have forgotten much about the process.

GOOD LUCK,  please let us know how things are going,  when the sun returns.   Thanks,   Vic

boB

Unless there is something really weird there, a Classic should be impossible to actually "brick" a classic, firmware wise.

You might have trouble updating sometimes, and there is or was a problem here but it is more than likely something simple to do with addressing or MNGP  firmware making it not communicate.   Something.

Luckily, our wonderful IT person did a really good job of fixing up the firmware updater software so it works a LOT better than years ago when I did it.

Keep us posted.  We'll  help you get out of this snag.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ralph day

I've never understood why people would update firmware on something that is working?  Maybe I have a bad taste because of Windows 10 always just doing updates and messing my good working laptop all up.

I have 2 Classic 250's, one running solar, the other a Bergey wind turbine.  Both work well...why would I need or want to update firmware?

Ralph

jtdiesel65

They seem to Be working Although it took a long time for 1 of them to recognize the PV was on.I upgraded firmware in order to use mymidnite. 

Anybody know how to add a second device to mymidnite? It says use the management tab. There is no management tab.

Vic

Quote from: jtdiesel65 on December 26, 2020, 11:14:18 AM
They seem to Be working Although it took a long time for 1 of them to recognize the PV was on.I upgraded firmware in order to use mymidnite. 

Anybody know how to add a second device to mymidnite? It says use the management tab. There is no management tab.

Hi jt..,

To the right of the one CC that shows,   there is a PLUS sign.   Click that plus,  and you should be able to add CCs to the page for the first one (IIRC).

Glad that you appear to be back online.

The only reason that we felt that we needed to Update Classic Firmware,  was because we had some trouble getting MM2 up and running.  One of the Troubleshooting suggestions was to make certain that all Classics were Updated to the latest FW.

Please let us know if you were able to add the second CC,   and how things in general are going.

Vic

dapdan

I concur with Ralph. I have  a classic giving some trouble now and when I checked it was last updated in 2017. I havent looked at it to update it or otherwise once it was working. If it aint broke down trouble it.

Damani

jtdiesel65

Quote from: dapdan on December 27, 2020, 07:27:27 AM
I concur with Ralph. I have  a classic giving some trouble now and when I checked it was last updated in 2017. I havent looked at it to update it or otherwise once it was working. If it aint broke down trouble it.

Damani

I didn't upgrade the firmware since 2012.  I couldn't get mymidnite to work and the mymidnite FAQ says that it will not work with firmware prior to 2079. What I had was well before the 2079 release.  So I decided to upgrade. I would have left them alone except for mymidnite. They have been working great through all those years.

Unfortunately I still have one CC that won't connect to mymidnite. The other one is fine. They are on the same router. Followme enabled. I've reset the MM multiple times to 0.0.0.0 and 159.203.65.201 and rebooted each time per the FAQ and no dice. Currently it's 0.0.0.0 .The one that works, uses 0.0.0.0 . Local status app works fine for both. The one that doesn't check in has a wizbangjr configured and working.

Anybody have any ideas to get this working? Device is 2982 A60B

Vic

Hi jt..,

Would you please check,  that the Classic that does not report to MM,   has Web Access enabled?

Vic

jtdiesel65

Yes, they both have web access enabled.

Maybe I should toggle it off, reboot. Toggle it back on and reboot.

thx

KyleM

I am showing that the Classic in question is not communicating with our server.

Since you have one in the same router that is working I would suggest that you take the wire from the Classic that is working and plug it into the Classic that is not working.

If MM2 picks it up and starts reporting then you have a bad wire or connection somewhere between your router and the Classic.
If the Classic refuses to report at that time then there is a problem with the Classic and it will need to be send back for repair.
-Kyle