Classic 150 cycling on and off

Started by dapdan, December 27, 2020, 07:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

All,

Season greetings to all. I have not been on this forum for some time. I am hoping there is an easy fix for my classic 150 issue like uploading the lastest software. A couple of weeks ago my controller, after years of faithful uneventful boring service, started to give some issues. The controller constantly cycles on and off, resting then charging with an audible click of the relay, regardless of the external conditions during the day. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so what was the fix. I have had to bypass the controller with a direct connection of the batteries to the panel just to keep the lights on.
Thanks for any advice that you guys may offer. Merry Christmas again.

Damani

Vic

Hi Damani,

IIRC,  you are located somewhere in the Caribbean,   which folks like myself associate with  a lot of lightning.

Is it possible that you might have had a close-by lightning strike?

When the Classic is connected to the battery,  but the PV input breaker is open (off),  what does the Classic show as the Vin?   If that Vin is 0.0 V,  it is quite possible that the Classic has been damaged.

Probably too much guessing here.   Thanks, Vic.
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

When the Classic has been clicking on and off, you might want to take a look at the Reason For Resting number code (RFR)

From the main status screen, hold down the left-arrow key and tap the ENTER button.  You should be presented with a screen of weird numbers.

The top middle number is the RFR number.   This will tell us where in the code it turned off.   You also might want to check this number more than once in case there are more than one areas causing the Classic to go to resting.

Then we can coordinate that number with the list.  This might help.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Great point, boB,  about the RFR.

Damani,  the following has the way to see RFR,  as boB described,  and the DecoderRing (the List of RFR Number,  vs the Reason):

http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=72

Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

dapdan

Vic, Bob,

I had a similar issue with a classic back in 2017 and did remember to check teh RFR on this one. I am currently getting 111. Ill have to check it multiple time to confirm that that is the only number it is giving tho. Thanks for all of your input guys.

Damani

boB

OK.  RFR of 111  is the RFR that you get when you first power it up if you unpowered it, which you did.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dapdan

boB

Quote from: dapdan on January 01, 2021, 05:40:50 PM
ok. So that is normal then.

yes.  That is normal.  And that will be shown until the Classic wakes up and goes to Resting the first time which will show some other reason

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Quote from: Vic on December 27, 2020, 01:01:33 PM
Hi Damani,

IIRC,  you are located somewhere in the Caribbean,   which folks like myself associate with  a lot of lightning.

QUESTIONS:
1.  Is it possible that you might have had a close-by lightning strike ??  ???

2.  When the Classic is connected to the battery,  but the PV input breaker is open (off),  what does the Classic show as the Vin  ?? ??   If that Vin is 0.0 V,  it is quite possible that the Classic has been damaged.

Just curious. EDITED for emphasis.   Probably too much guessing here.   Thanks, Vic.