bare bones Outback inverter epanel

Started by qrper, December 28, 2020, 10:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qrper

My old Trace SW5548 is hitting on 19 years old. It's still running fine, but one day I know it's going to up and quit. If I had the schematics, I can do component level repair. The schematics may as well be on the moon. So moving onto plan "B."

I'm thinking about a Outback VFXR 3800 W, which is of course is a step or two down from what I have now. I could see adding a second one, too.

I don't want to nail the Outback to the wall. And I don't have the $$$$ to buy a Outback specific Panel.
I have a DC175 box that the Classic sits on top and it provides all the necessary switching.

So, my question is thus; Is it possible to purchase a empty white box and the necessary cover with all the correct holes to mount a Outback VFXR series inverter to?

Don't need breakers, shunts, switches, flashing LEDs, or color coded buss bars

Just an empty box and cover for the Outback.

mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

ClassicCrazy

I don't see why you need a box for it - you would just take the cables in and out of your existing box .
My Outback inverter is just hanging on the wall.  It really doesn't have the electrical hookup holes like maybe you are thinking .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on December 28, 2020, 06:10:52 PM
I don't see why you need a box for it - you would just take the cables in and out of your existing box .
My Outback inverter is just hanging on the wall.  It really doesn't have the electrical hookup holes like maybe you are thinking .

Larry

I like the way the cables are all enclosed in a junction box. Right now, my DC175 is too full for the cables coming out of an Outback.

Will one of those (Outback) inverters really hang on the door without falling off in the middle of the night?

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: qrper on December 29, 2020, 10:13:57 AM

Larry

I like the way the cables are all enclosed in a junction box. Right now, my DC175 is too full for the cables coming out of an Outback.

Will one of those (Outback) inverters really hang on the door without falling off in the middle of the night?

Mike

They are heavy - I would mount it on something solid like plywood

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on December 30, 2020, 12:59:32 AM
Quote from: qrper on December 29, 2020, 10:13:57 AM

Larry

Mike

They are heavy - I would mount it on something solid like plywood

Larry

that's what I was trying to avoid. I like the concept of the Epanel for the Outbackâ€"hides and protects the wiring. So, I'm looking at only the empty box and cover.

Mike

ClassicCrazy

Here is what I am talking about Mike.
see photo
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Robin

Unfortunately for us to make one special box, it always ends up costing far more than one would think. The special instructions, special bills of material, special QC, special order entry for a non existent model number, special scheduling in production and special handling all the way through the cycle.
We just can't sell you an empty box like you described anymore. I will see if we do have any reject parts that would suffice though. If we do, it will be free. Paperwork costs us too much. No paperwork this way, but I don't know if we have anything?
Robin
Robin Gudgel

qrper

Quote from: Robin on December 30, 2020, 11:44:05 PM
Unfortunately for us to make one special box, it always ends up costing far more than one would think. The special instructions, special bills of material, special QC, special order entry for a non existent model number, special scheduling in production and special handling all the way through the cycle.
We just can't sell you an empty box like you described anymore. I will see if we do have any reject parts that would suffice though. If we do, it will be free. Paperwork costs us too much. No paperwork this way, but I don't know if we have anything?
Robin

Thanks Robin, for the offer.

After nearly 45 years of solar work, I enjoy simple. I don't care for a zillion wires running all over the place held in with tacks and rubber bands.
Actually if I wasn't so damn cheap, I'd simply buy one of the epanels you guys make for the Outback VLRX units and call it a day. Like I had posted, I have all the breakers and switches. Only need the box and over for the Outback.

My summer plans are to get a backup for my old Trace SW5548. Been leaning toward Outback. 
Of course, if I had a time frame for the B17 inverters I might wait.
And yup! I sure know about the cost and hassle of making one up of anything. Just the time it would take to program the metal bending/punching machine would be out of this world.

If you come across something, that would be cool, if not, the world won't come to an end.

Speaking of which, this is new year's eve day, so

Everyone here on the Midnite solar forum, have a Happy New Year!

mike

boB

Happy new year to you too, Mike !

Say,  I wonder if I should use my old FX E-Panel, one of the first E-Panels MNS made, or just give it away ?

I have 2 FX's I think but have not put them on a wall.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

Quote from: boB on December 31, 2020, 06:16:34 PM
Happy new year to you too, Mike !

Say,  I wonder if I should use my old FX E-Panel, one of the first E-Panels MNS made, or just give it away ?

I have 2 FX's I think but have not put them on a wall.

If you decide to give it away...I'll take it! :)
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I