Wacky current display on older Kid

Started by CraigDC, January 28, 2021, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigDC

Hi Folks!
I have inherited a solar installation and I'm trying to figure out if a current reading in the "Solar" display fluctuating radically (primarily the tenths digit) is normal.
I installed a new Kid and the reading does not fluctuate radically.
I'm trying to decide whether to send the older one back for repair, if it's not supposed to behave this way.
It may be that the older one has a faster current A/D sample/calc time.
Any help from those that might have an older Kid (~10 years) would be most welcome!
Thanks!
Craig

boB

I am pretty sure that the current reading is averaged some.  But maybe it really is moving around more than it usually would ??

Maybe you could take a video of the screen ?

Thanks
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

CraigDC

Here's one video clip.
Thanks for your help!

CraigDC

Here's a second video clip.
Thanks again!

boB

Yeah, it  IS moving around a bit but I don't think there is a problem.

It is regulating the output voltage and at that kind of high ratio of input to output voltage and kind of low-ish output current, the input voltage is definitely going to move around a lot.

Now, if this is not the way it used to work, then I am not quite sure except, maybe, the batteries are older enough that they don't take as much current to stay in float like they did before and so maybe that is why it is moving around now ?

Anyway, looks OK I think.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

CraigDC

It does the same thing in Absorb mode with higher current.
It also did it with 7 year old batteries as well as with the brand new batteries.
I don't know what it did when the controller was new, so I have no reference.

Wizbandit

That was an issue with old firmware.  Mario fixed it.

FNG

What he said :)

Earlier firmware had a lot less averaging, Engineers like to see things live. We added a lot more averaging to smooth it out so you could read what it is saying. A firmware update should fix you right up