Documenting Kid settings

Started by mike cunningham, February 21, 2021, 05:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike cunningham

I have a sailboat with solar installed. Kid controller, wizbang jr. 230 AH (2 each 115 AH Vmax Tanks Agms) 250 watts solar coming from three panels.

When motoring or motor charging I rely upon a 70 amp Balmar alternator externally regulated with Balmar ARS-5.

Some enterprising individual has created a spreadsheet for documenting all Balmar regulator program settings as well as key battery data: type, efficiency, bulk, absorb and float voltages , etc.

Has someone done the same for the Kid? If so, a link would be appreciated.

Of course this is an easy DIY but there are quite a few settings and menu levels. I would really like to be sure I have a comprehensive checklist for the purposes of completing and documenting all relevant settings and not miss something.

ClassicCrazy

You only need to set the Absorb voltage, the absorb time, and Float voltage.
Setting the capacity of your batteries for the whizbang set up will give you some SOC - state of charge information.
So whatever your battery manufacturer recommends for settings for your battery would be the ones to use.
I tried looking up your batteries if you have 12v batteries they don't really give you much information.
Contact them and ask for solar setpoints.  If they can't help you look up other AGM batteries solar charge setpoints -  like from East Penn Deka or others . AGM are all similar in their characteristics.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mike cunningham

Larry,

Thanks for response.

MY bad, my batteries are the 120 AH model. I had my old Lifelines in mind.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/MR137-120-Deep-Cycle-High-performance-AGM-Battery_p_28.html

What confuses me a bit. Why would I need to set absorb time if I have a wizzbang installed? I assumed absorb time was driven by battery voltage but I must have this wrong? Is absorb always a fixed duration based upon batt manufacturer recommendation? Ironically, one of the reasons I bought the Wizzbang was to ensure that I did not have the batteries in absorb for a fixed duration and potentially overcharge the batteries, assuming I had a near full charge when the panels begin to produce in the morning or at some point during the day when panels are cranking power. Which brings me to the next question.

Don't I need to concern myself with batt efficiency and end amp end amp settings?

I really appreciate the help, obviously I am learning.

Vic

Hi Mike,

The proper Absorb time,   for Lead Acid batteries,   depends upon the Depth Of Discharge of the batteries,  in the previous discharge.

When using EA,   the Absorb time is customarily set to be somewhat longer than the expected Absorb time.  This can keep the Absorb time reasonable,  in case the EA value cannot be reached.

In the Classic Topic,   there is the Knowledge Base,  which has a description of using EA.   This will generally also apply to the Kid:
http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?cid=1

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mike cunningham

Vic,

OK thank you!

I will go study the referenced material.

mike cunningham

I spent some time on the boat yesterday documenting my Kid settings in a checklist.

I really like having a record so I can easily reference my settings as I read this forum and learn more about the operational parameters of the Kid, WBJR, etc.

The hope is I can get everything dialed in correctly and them make sure my Balmar regulator config is consistent with the Kid set up when settings overlap (such as absorb/float voltages and so forth).

Then if fertilizer hits the fan at sea, I have a ready reference as to what all my Kid settings should be.

I was hoping one of you would tale a look at the attached and see what you think. Do I have any wacky configurations or settings? or am I missing anything important? I do realize I have some editing to do re spelling etc.

Oh, and Vic, that link did not work, I did some end amps searching on the forum but many of the entries were sort of tangential to the  description you noted. I would really like to read up on the info you referenced if I could  find it.

Vic

Hi Mike,

Yes,  that Link  has been broken,  since the  time that I posted it  ...  had thought that  it  was  being updated with new info,  but,     will ask about  it.

Am busy right now,  doing Spring vegetation management.   Will have  some  time to  address your  questions about  EA.  Will look  to see the exact batteries  that you are  using,   which you did state,  but am unfamiliar with them.   Will look at your attached info,  too.

More later,   OH,  and,  yes,   having a Power  system,     or at least a Battery Logbook for all of the charge settings,   measurements of individual battery voltage (if appropriate) will be crucial,  as the system  ages,  changes made,  etc.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Vic

Couple of quick snippet about  setting EA,  see:

http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=4844.msg44979#msg44979

You may not have Flooded batteries,  so   taking SG  measurements might not be possible.

Later,  Vic

Vic

Your settings generally look good.   Realize,   that the proper Absorb time,   will depend upon the Depth Of Discharge (DOD),  of the battery in the previous discharge.

If you are able to use EA,  then this can help control the Absorb time.

Later,    Vic

mike cunningham

Thanks for response, I did read the recommended thread which was helpful.